~4700 hours old laptop hard drive is very slow

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
Hi, so I have this problem. At first, my computer started feeling really slow, the boot times were quite long about 3min. and I tried to reinstall Windows, it helped for a bit but then the problem reappeared again. So I started looking deeper, I scanned my computer with Malware-Bytes, no viruses. Task Manager looks clean, CrystalDiskInfo, HDSentinel shows that there are no problems with the hard drive. And then I decided to do a random access read test wtih HDTune and times were quite long and speeds quite low http://prntscr.com/ipd9i1 . So that means that my hard drive is already dying or is there anything I can do? It's a Toshiba 1TB Drive (MQ01ABD100). I tried to do a error scan with a built-in Windows tool and do a defragment but it didn't help.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
get a new drive :) and upgrade to an SSD!! your 3minute+ boot time will be a LOT less. In all the comptuers I have replaced normal HDD and installed SSDs it like a completely different computer.. SO much faster. (I normally go with Samsung OR mushkin drives) that one you have now is a very slow one to begin with.

SpartansMan

Honorable
Jun 29, 2015
I can't afford that.