Solved

NEED HELP RESEETING CMOS ON MOBO with questions

hey all so i recently replaced my i5 6500 and intel stock cooler with the i7 7700k and cryorig h7 and now pc just bootloops every 10 seconds nothing onscreen. i freaked out for a bit but then begain researching and i found some people saying i may need to rest cmos if this happens. the thing is ive never done this, dont know where it is located on my board and how to do it. also idk my bios settings etc and such. lets just say ima a little nervous and need some help. MY MOTHERBOARD IS THE GA Z170-HD3P. thanks for reading
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about reseeting cmos mobo questions
  1. Just remove motherboard battery (it is just below 1st PCIe x16 slot) for few minutes (with power cable unplugged) and then put it back, that should do it.
  2. DRagor said:
    Just remove motherboard battery (it is just below 1st PCIe x16 slot) for few minutes (with power cable unplugged) and then put it back, that should do it.


    is this safe to do not in the way of desroying omething but idk what my bios settings were. or is all i have to do is do what you said.

    also i updated my bios before i installed my new cpu will i have to re update bios after cmos reset?

    ty
  3. No, its not going to damage anything when done properly (with power off). You may not remember what your settings were, but you don't have much options if you can't boot the system now anyway.
    No, you will not need to update BIOS again, CMOS reset only erases data stored by BIOS, not the BIOS program itself.
  4. DRagor said:
    No, its not going to damage anything when done properly (with power off). You may not remember what your settings were, but you don't have much options if you can't boot the system now anyway.
    No, you will not need to update BIOS again, CMOS reset only erases data stored by BIOS, not the BIOS program itself.


    ok i will give this a go right now, thanks. will let you know if it blows up or nt
  5. DRagor said:
    No, its not going to damage anything when done properly (with power off). You may not remember what your settings were, but you don't have much options if you can't boot the system now anyway.
    No, you will not need to update BIOS again, CMOS reset only erases data stored by BIOS, not the BIOS program itself.


    i tried it. took battery out. waited about few mins, put it back in. nothing has changed. still bootlooping everything same s before. im really stuck on what to do.!
  6. You said you updated BIOS before using new CPU. Did you checked with old CPU if the update went successfully?
  7. DRagor said:
    You said you updated BIOS before using new CPU. Did you checked with old CPU if the update went successfully?


    when i updated with my old cpu i did launch windows onto the windows login thing (put in your account password) so it did launch fine.

    idk what to do
  8. Ok, are sure you got the right BIOS version for 7700k? It needs F20 or higher. Did you connected 8-pin EPS power cable after switch? If yes to all, then you'll need to remove it back and see if you didn't bent any pins at CPU socket (you may start with just loosening cooler a bit instead). If nothing helps, you have to consider possibility of your new CPU being faulty.
  9. DRagor said:
    Ok, are sure you got the right BIOS version for 7700k? It needs F20 or higher. Did you connected 8-pin EPS power cable after switch? If yes to all, then you'll need to remove it back and see if you didn't bent any pins at CPU socket (you may start with just loosening cooler a bit instead). If nothing helps, you have to consider possibility of your new CPU being faulty.


    i checked the usb i used to update bios as the files are still on there and i can confirm i did indeed update to bios f20.

    so i will untighten the screws of the cpu cooler a little ? also what do you mean did i connet 8 pin esp power cable after switch? i never unplugged any esp power cable.

    i just loosend the screws on the bracket and the same thing no change.
  10. Best answer
    I have a CPU power cable in mind. It is often unplugged during cooler switch as it sometimes gets in a way. Make sure it did not got loose accidentally.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Motherboards CMOS Intel