i5 650 or q9550 for 720p gaming

Mar 11, 2018
Hi, I have a Gigabyte GT 1030 OC Edition. What I want to know is that which would processor should i pair with it for optimum performance? I have two options; one is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz and the other Intel Core i5 650 3.2 GHz. I am actually looking to play The Witcher 3, DOOM, Watch Dogs 2, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Battlefield 1 and all of them at Medium, 720p. Thanks.

Solution

Thanks for clearing that up.
If there are really no other options for you, then get the I5 650.
But know that you are investing in a platform that is no longer supported and has no worthwhile upgrade path available afterwards.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The I5 650...

Neither, really.
Both platforms that those cpus are on are pretty dated - Q9550 is about 10yrs old and the I5 about 8 - and you might run into an issue where either motherboard won't detect the brand new 1030. The I5 is newer, but unless someone else can confirm whether such an old platform will work with a 10-series gpu, you shouldn't take a chance on it.

gussrtk

Honorable
honestly.. neither is a great option. but as far as the 2 choices of CPU go... the i5-650 wins, it's got a higher core frequency and faster microprocessing power.

If these are your only two options, then the 650 of course is the better CPU.... but today... don't expect too much from it, it may not even hit your desired performance.

Mar 11, 2018

I have seen people run GTX 1060 with that processor, so compatibility might not be an issue.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for clearing that up.
If there are really no other options for you, then get the I5 650.
But know that you are investing in a platform that is no longer supported and has no worthwhile upgrade path available afterwards.

Solution
Mar 11, 2018

My mobo supports upto i7, so I can upgrade to it in future.