Paul Jhon

Commendable
Jan 7, 2017
Specs:
Cpu: i5 6600
Ram: 8gb 2133
Mobo: gigabyte z170m-d3h ddr4
Psu: cougar stx 550w 80+

I'm planning of upgrading my gpu to rx 580 is it good enough? Since gtx 1070 right now is expensive..

wouldn't get either with that psu. First get a good psu and then see what you can afford.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
the rx580s are good price & offer the same preformance for less $. Crapvidia cards are over rated junk. I run a Sapphire Pulse RX560OC 4G as I got it cheap for a stop gap & give it a whirl. Its a fantastic card AMD software has come along way to over time. I recommend to go with the RX580 you wont regret it if you dont like it can on sell it to miners later on. Tho I use to be an avid Nvidia user tho I wont ever go back I switched to team red & be going that way for my next Desktop build when the 2nd gen Ryzens come out. I recomend AMD cards they have come a long way for value & preformance. My advise is to go with the RX580. I am heavily in the AMD community helping on there forums with driver & card related issues.

The 580 is on mar with the 1060 not the 1070. The 1070 is simply better than a 580. Also his current psu can't run any of those cards due to it being a bad low quality one.

For RX580 to match even the stock 1070 the card need to be clocked around 1700mhz. There is no such RX580 on the market (people already using LN2 cooling just to reach 1600mhz with polaris 10).

@OP it depends on how you want to play your games. At 1080p RX580 should be an excellent choice if you don't have the money for 1070.

Yep, the RX 580 is a GTX 1060 competitor. It can be faster at certain things that could potentially give it a performance edge in more games in the future, but as of now, both cards are fairly similar in performance.

And more importantly, mining has pushed the cost of cards way up right now, and the prices of AMD's cards have been affected more than Nvidia's. The RX 580 was a very competitive card when it first launched for around the same price as the GTX 1060 (both the 580 8GB and 1060 6GB were around $250 or so), but mining has pushed the price of AMDs cards up far enough where they are not currently all that competitive against Nvidia's offerings for gaming. An RX 580 priced significantly higher than a GTX 1060 6GB is arguably not worth buying, unless you really want FreeSync for a compatible monitor or something.

Also, the GTX 1060 should be less demanding on your PSU, being a 120 watt card, as opposed the 200+ watts that the RX 580 can require under load.

What kind of card do you currently have though? If it's not too outdated, it might be worth sticking with what you have for the time being, since again, the prices of graphics cards have been extremely high the last couple months. Adding to that, Nvidia should be launching a new generation of cards within a few months or so, so it might be worth waiting to see what happens with those, and pricing in general by that time.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
Honestly I switched to AMD & been great. I had the budget for a RX560 & fantastic little card for a budget build & give the 1050's 1060s a good run for there $. The Polaris is so under rated for gaming its not funny. The Crapvidia cards are so over rated & junk. You use a bit more juice with the RX 580 tho 8g if vram is handy if gaming with the newer release games coming out. Any nvidia cards I am binning to the rubbish pile such over rated piles of trash with trash Driver support with need of if using a 3rd party card maker need of 3rd party crapware tools to unlock. The think I like about AMD its where its at with the Radeon overlay you got all the tools you need & drivers are hit or miss but AMD has jumped leaps & bounds. Found Tomshardware like a lot of other PC community sites are really bias towards Intel & AMD. Times are changing before making drastic changes shop around look at reviews not all reviews are honest alot are bias. I recomend a good quality PSU way over size if you AMD cards for the buffer if OC over volting. The bonus is that the AMD cards take a lot longer to throttle under load compared to the newer gen Nvidia cards done some full on testing & I been suprised. Wanna play next gen games go RX580 if you can find 1 if in doubt can sell to a miner & still get the same price 6months down the line if you wanna buy the newest of Nvidias offerings. Tho Nvidia is way over priced for not much gain in preformance.

kyleroonie

Prominent
Mar 23, 2018
Hi so this thread and it's replies have sparked some curiosity within me and encouraged me to do some testing.
I decided to test the power consumption and performance of my computer and will be sharing the results.

My system:
GPU: Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+ 8GB @1411Mhz
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.8Ghz 1.34375v
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-3200 CL16
MB: ASUS PRIME X370-Pro
PSU: Super Flower Leadex II 650W 80+ Gold

I did several benchmarks using Superposition and Heaven 4.0. All benchmarks were done in the extreme presets in 1080p. I measured the power consumption of the video card using MSI Afterburner and the total system power from an adapter plugged into the wall and the PC into the adapter.

Superposition
770k0a0.png

My RX580 peaked at 176 watts and my Total system power draw was jumping between 280W and 295W throughout the benchmark.
Not sure why it says the gpu is an RX470/480 8GB. It is definitely an RX580

Heaven 4.0
snYmBgS.png

Not sure why but when running Heaven the GPU and system were running 10W lower than when in superposition even though in both benchmarks the card ran at 100% utilization. Also not sure why it says it's an RX 580 4GB when it is definetly an 8GB card.

Also from a Hardware Unboxed video they review a GTX 1070 Gaming X from MSI and from their power usage results it seems the stock power consumption should be near 254W for the total system power draw.
Here is the Hardware Unboxed video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y2J1NJzioU
Regardless of which of these cards you buy I am more than positive your power supply can power your system comfortably until your next upgrade.

Now regarding which one you should get is totally up to your budget. The GTX 1070 is round about 40% faster than the RX 580 according to results on userbenchmark.com
If you find a GTX1070 that is below a 40% price difference between the RX580 you want rather get the GTX1070.
The RX 580 seems to fit better in your current build in my opinion, but both cards are more than adequate for your system if you play in 1080p.

The GTX1060 is great option as well, if is the 6GB variant and cheaper than the RX580.
Hope this helps!