100% disk usage on startup problem

justbaffled

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2012
Hi,

Well my win 7 rig is chocking at start-up with 100% disk usage, quite why windows allows any device to hit 100% so that it cannot then function is beyond me but there you go.

Looking around the net there appears to be a lot of, well rubbish, talked about the reasons for 100% disk usage and how to fix it. I even found this statement about virtual memory - 'Virtual memory can increase burden of hard disk and occupy much disk usage though it is able to improve the performance of system.'

Sorry?

There is also a lot of stuff about disabling Superfech. Now I don't know how this interleaves with services, I'd guess that the latter would take priority otherwise how would Superfetch know which code to load in the first place?

I've looked at /windows/prefetch.layout.ini and can see third part update programmes as well as the Anti virus and, naturally windows stuff like Winsock.

There also a lot about disabling BITS, which, unless I've got it wrong, runs in the background in any case and uses empty network bandwidth, so I cannot see it causing the problem, and it never appears on the rare times I am actually able to start the Resource monitor. Yes the disk lock is that bad. I also suspect that disabling it would stop Windows update from working.

However updates might be at least part of my problem. There are a lot of those 3rd party programmes which appear to be loading their own update checking apps at boot, they load, check and then either sit in memory (and appear in the bottom right of the status bar) or unload.

It doesn't appear to matter which disk these things load from, they all appear to be contributing to the overall 100% usage and system freeze.

So can someone explain how I can find out what is loading at the start, is there a start-up log anywhere?

And secondly how to either disable these update programmes or better still defer their start to run after boot so they don't all try and run at the same time?

Solution
1. What happens is:
windows will make a back-up of the HDD files...automatically.
and it keeps backing up the whole drive over and over...until the HDD is 100% full.
This is not a very clever feature.
(however I think this is probably what you are fighting)

Turn off the automatic disk back-up. Delete all the backup files.
Make backups of your disk onto DVD instead. Leave auto-disk-backup turned OFF.

2. What happens is:
the antivirus starts making log files.
This will also create automatic files, which eventually overflows the hard drive. I know this has been an issue with Kaspersky and other antivirus programs.
You can go into the anti virus settings and turn OFF the logging.
(my drive overflowed because the LOGGING was turned on) I...

nicolatesla

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
1. What happens is:
windows will make a back-up of the HDD files...automatically.
and it keeps backing up the whole drive over and over...until the HDD is 100% full.
This is not a very clever feature.
(however I think this is probably what you are fighting)

Turn off the automatic disk back-up. Delete all the backup files.
Make backups of your disk onto DVD instead. Leave auto-disk-backup turned OFF.

2. What happens is:
the antivirus starts making log files.
This will also create automatic files, which eventually overflows the hard drive. I know this has been an issue with Kaspersky and other antivirus programs.
You can go into the anti virus settings and turn OFF the logging.
(my drive overflowed because the LOGGING was turned on) I deleted the log files, and turned the logging OFF.

Solution