850 EVO to 860 PRO issue

Mar 19, 2018
Hello! I recently purchased a samsung 512 gb 860 pro to replace my 250 gb 850 evo. My OS is on my 1Tb HDD, I keep all my gaming files on my 250gb SSD. My issue is, the samsung data migration tool ONLY transfers the data from a drive with an OS on it. I simply want to replace a smaller SSD with a bigger one, and from the same company at that. Am i out of luck in regards to keeping the data on my smaller SSD? Is there a tool to transfer data that doesn't require an OS on the drive? Thanks! Any help is appreciated!

Sean

Solution

If this is a secondary drive, you can do a simple copy/paste.
When finished, swap the drive letters around so the new drive has the same drive letter as the old drive did.
The OS on the 1TB will not know the...

USAFRet

Titan

If this is a secondary drive, you can do a simple copy/paste.
When finished, swap the drive letters around so the new drive has the same drive letter as the old drive did.
The OS on the 1TB will not know the difference.

And I strongly recommend not trying to copy EVERYTHING at once. If it fails somewhere in the middle, you won't know exactly where.
Go folder by folder.

Or, Macrium Reflect will clone from old to new, between any two drives. No OS on that drive needed.

Solution
Mar 19, 2018
Well guys initially it was! When I built my PC it was for flight simulation and I had a 1tb HDD and a SSD. My initial thought was to use the HDD for my flight simulation since it was a bigger space. I had that stuff on my HDD, and my OS on my SSD. Everyone in the flight sim community has SSD’s and once I switched over, the performance was awesome. And one of the things you learn in flight simulation is to never have your sim files on the same drive as your OS.

So now I’m stuck with no room on my SSD, and a ton of room on the drive with my OS. Should I just dump the HDD completely, run my smaller SSD for my OS and my 860 Pro for my flight stuff? I’m not even sure I can house both SSD’s.