100% Disk usage after MOBO and CPU upgrade?

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016
I'm unsure if this is the right section for this kind of help.

So this is my old build: https://imgur.com/a/TA0XS

Now it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/786Ou

It's an I7-8700k

Ever since I installed those, and updated the BIOS, I've been having brief periods of 100% disk usage, where everything just stops, I can move the mouse around but for the next 6 or so seconds, everything completely stops.

When gaming it can be kind of an issue, R6: Siege for example: bugs out on me, siezes up a little and causes some UI glitches and obviously longer loading times.

Streaming can also be an issue as It's a good hobby of mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

drbones8472

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I had the same problem the last time I reinstalled W10. I had skipped a driver I didn't think I needed. Go to your Mobo Manufacturers website and downdload/install all of the newest drivers you can find for your Mobo.

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

I can't believe I completed negated the actual effin' drivers for the mobo, I got the BIOS, and updated them almost immediately after installing the mobo, didn't even think about the drivers.

I'll get back to you on this.

Mind. Blown... Because I feel like an idiot.

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

Haven't reinstalled Windows 10... yet, but I feel as though it might need to go that way.

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

So, turns out my computer apparently doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the VGA driver, which "Improve system stability & Support Windows 10"

...so I have no idea what's going on there, but it's the only one I can't install.

bignastyid

Titan

Likely due to still using the old OS install, that can cause all sorts of problems.

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

Alright, so In other words, just reinstall Windows?

bignastyid

Titan

That's what I'd do.

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

In all fairness I probably should've done that to begin with...

DigitalNinja

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2016

So, It's the next day and I reinstalled windows overnight, keeping my files, as I don't have anything to use to backup my stuff at the moment.

Good News, It's done something, it does feel a little bit more stable, but I do get the occasional spike every now and then, but that seems to be from Chrome more than anything. I have 3 extensions installed, yet there's 10 or so processes of Chrome running in Task Manager. Weird.

also Good News, I managed to find and delete my Windows.old folder, took me 20 odd minutes because it was 437Gbs of absolute trash. Glad that's gone. but that seems to have solved a huge chunk of my problems.