FX 8120/Rx 480 4 GB underperforming in Crysis 1

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
I am getting under 30 FPS maxed out at 1080p on a game from 2008. This doesnt make sense. I can play the later 2 games at higher framerates than what this is running at and so far all searches have not really helped me figure out why the game is playing at such a low frame rate.

Specs are correct in my signature below

That's too low to be the CPU (if normal frequency) as I play maxed out with a better CPU and almost never drop below 60FPS.

Since the other games work okay I'd assume it's something specific to Crysis 1 video settings.

*I'd start by dropping the video settings down (leave VSYNC OFF) to MEDIUM then see how that affects the FPS... roughly speaking most video settings are more GPU-specific so if the FPS goes up as you lower the video game SETTINGS it's a GPU, not a CPU issue.

"under 30FPS"
sometimes, or all the time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiSmOR5o4bs

At 1080p, 8xMSAA, and "VERY HIGH" that system got roughly 70FPS average with few dips below 50FPS.

So if you're getting LOWER it's likely the CPU but again I don't think you should be ALWAYS below 30FPS.

*If you're getting closer to 70% of the performance (occasional dips below 30FPS) that would be the CPU, or indirectly insufficient memory bandwidth to the DDR3 memory which could be limiting CPU performance.

It depends on the game but going DUAL CHANNEL (i.e. 2x4GB 1600MHz) might boost the FPS by 15% or more.

Crysis 1 runs basically on one single thread and the FX-8120 is pretty slow in single thread.
j8ROdtc.jpg

GeneralJim25

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

The RAM in the PC is running dual channel. I have 2 4 GB sticks of Corsair Vengeance ram, with an overclock on the CPU to 4.0 ghz. This is the only game I have any real issue in. And I spend more time than not at under 35 fps. If I look at the ground, Ill jump over 60 fps. But once the gun comes back up, it tanks