I7 2600 to I7 3770 Upgrade?

Mar 24, 2018
I realize these two processors are getting older but I was wondering, can I exchange an I7 3770K into a computer whose motherboard was designed to run the I7 2600? I bought a machine cheap that has no processor in it but the motherboard is socket LGA 1155.In looking around for my best option I gather that the I7 3770 was the last of the socket 1155 processors.Will this be a painless exchange?

2600 is Sandy and 3770 is Ivy Bridge. They both run on 1155 socket, but a bios update might be needed for the motherboard. We need to know the motherboard model and the bios version it is now running. On top of that, if you want to take advantage of your unlocked i7 3770 (K), then the motherboard should be up to the task. i7 3770 is faster by overall than the 2600

Mar 24, 2018
My bargain basement computer is being shipped.I will post back in a few days when I have it in hand with the MOBO model number and hopefully the bios version number.Hoping I can get a bios version with no processor in it.Hoping that somewhere in the bios that will be listed? I appreciate your quick response.Hopefully, by asking here first, I won't make the mistake of buying a processor that won't work.

Unfortunately you won't be able to see the bios version unless you actually boot the system up. You can either ask from your retailer some info on the subject, or you go visit a shop once it arrives and ask him to boot it with a processor just to check the bios and update it if needed right there. Shouldn't cost much. Post back for any questions, cheers

Myrmidonas

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
You may as well ask the guy that sold you the system, what is the BIOS version installed. Even if he does not know, you may try to use your I7 3770K and try to boot all the way. It will either boot or not. It will not hard neither your CPU nor the MB. You have nothing to lose. If it does boot with the I7 3770K check the BIOS yourself and then see in the manufacturer's site if there is a newer BIOS than your and install the latest one.