i5 7500 vs i5 8400? Is the money worth it?

Feb 18, 2018
So I've almost bought everything for my first gaming pc build: gtx 1060 6g SSC, 16gb DDR4 Ram, RM550X PSU, Nzxt s340 elite, i5 7500, asrock b250m hdv, 1tb hdd, 256ssd.
Keep in mind i got some of these in offer. Ik i could've gone with cheaper case or psu to use the money for cpu or so.

Lot of tomshardware user suggested me to get i5 8400 if I'm not going with ryzen. I've got the i5 7500 only for £100 and the motherboard for it is £50. My budget is limited and I'm not a hard core gamer. But i do not wanna regret after building it. I still have the chance to change my cpu and motherboard.

Should i go with i5 8400? Remember i also have to get a more expensive mobo (z370p d3). So i5 8400+ cheapest mobo = £250 and i5 7500+ mobo = £150. Is the money worth it? Should i get i5 8400?

I'll also be using the pc to some light video/photo editing and other general use. Thanks

Solution
Since you have broken down the cost to value ratio, let me break it down further for you.
With time technologies change and so does hardware and software to keep up with it. As the software changes with emerging hardware, it becomes more taxing for the previous hardwares to run the latest softwares extracting more juice with each passing mnth/yr and so on. So, what may seem generic and light usage for now will become heavy usage down the line. Now here is your tradeoff. The 100 odd quid that you spend extra now, will give you that much more longevity down the line. If the 7500 combo gives you 3yrs, the 8400 can give you 5yrs or so of so called "generic usage". Now its for you to decide whether that 100 quid is worth the extra 2yrs. But...
Since you have broken down the cost to value ratio, let me break it down further for you.
With time technologies change and so does hardware and software to keep up with it. As the software changes with emerging hardware, it becomes more taxing for the previous hardwares to run the latest softwares extracting more juice with each passing mnth/yr and so on. So, what may seem generic and light usage for now will become heavy usage down the line. Now here is your tradeoff. The 100 odd quid that you spend extra now, will give you that much more longevity down the line. If the 7500 combo gives you 3yrs, the 8400 can give you 5yrs or so of so called "generic usage". Now its for you to decide whether that 100 quid is worth the extra 2yrs. But for now, the 7500 should do fine for your workload.

Solution
Feb 18, 2018
*deep breath* okay I'm going with 8400. I always wanted to but it's the motherboards price as well that pushing me out of my budget. One more question. Do you guys think i should buy the GA z370p D3 (£87-cheapest) mobo or should i wait to see if the B series comes out? I can wait till end of May and build my pc after my exams. Thank you for the replies. :)