i7 4770 is getting too hot?

Kevin Enrique

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
Recently, I managed to find an i7 4770 new along with a mobo at a very decent price. I don't know if the 4770 is just a hot processor by nature or something, I need some help here. I currently use it with an Hyper TX3 cooler, the temps are as follows:

Idle: 38 c
Web browsing: 45-55c
Now the problem is with some games, at Rise Of The Tomb Raider reached 69c at a spot where the game puts the processor at a 100% to load the next area or whatever and wasn't for too long. It worries me that it could go even higher at CPU intensive games. Now these are MSI Afterburner temp readings, which I think are accurate enough.

I have a GTX 1060, 8GB of RAM DDR3 1600 and a 600 watt EVGA PSU, 2 SSDs and 1 mechanical HDD.

I jumped from the i5 2400 to the i7 4770, the i5 2400 was really cool and never got too hot, 60c max, even on hot days. This 4770 is reaching high temps I believe? Should I change the thermal paste? I used a white one I had which says "high performance", I don't know lol.

Solution
as already mentioned, those temps are within safe limits.
Though if you are talking about 4770 (non K) it has lower TDP than 2400, so the temperature shouldn't be higher with the same cooler and case.
Probably that unknown high performance thing is not that good or there was something wrong with mounting the cooler or/and applying thermal paste.
I'd recommend to get some decent thermal paste like Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1.
reinstall the cooler with the new thermal paste.
If you use box cooler that came with the CPU, don't bother to do the above, just get better cooler.
as already mentioned, those temps are within safe limits.
Though if you are talking about 4770 (non K) it has lower TDP than 2400, so the temperature shouldn't be higher with the same cooler and case.
Probably that unknown high performance thing is not that good or there was something wrong with mounting the cooler or/and applying thermal paste.
I'd recommend to get some decent thermal paste like Arctic MX-4 or Noctua NT-H1.
reinstall the cooler with the new thermal paste.
If you use box cooler that came with the CPU, don't bother to do the above, just get better cooler.

Solution