R9 390 GPU dead, Ryzen has no integrated GPU - what do?

lovkal

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Hi, so it seems that my R9 390 just died, since no fans run nor does the light turn on when I turn on my computer.

The thing that bothers me however is that it killed my whole computer, and I find it weird that the GPU dying would result in the entire computer shutting off as well.
Is that a "normal death"?

The computer starts up again fine, but I have no idea if it's posting since the screen has no signal.

TL;DR - Is it normal for the entire computer to die when the GPU dies? Or did an unstable PSU cause the GPU's death?

I just want to be sure that buying a new GPU is enough, or if my PSU is faulty as well.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600 w/ Wraith cooler
SAPPHIRE R9 390 (R.I.P)
G.Skill Ripjaws V-3200 8gbx2 @ 3000Mhz
CoolerMaster G750M 750W PSU
MSI B350 GAMING PRO CARBON

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If it starts up without GPU, there are good chances all else works (although PSU could still be faulty). Either way without checking with new (or borrowed) GPU you can't proceed any further.

lovkal

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

I was playing Black Mesa and all of a sudden the computer abruptly shut down as if someone cut the power. I couldn't turn it back on so I pulled the cable out and plugged it back in. It kept rebooting about two or three times but then it remained on. The GPU however seemed completely dead as I described.

lovkal

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

Yeah, you're right. Thanks.

That does point more towards a psu failiure or the gpu shorting something.

lovkal

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016

Can I do some test or something on my PSU to see if it's faulty in some way?

The only way to know is if you manage to put it under a high load close to it's max wattage.
The easiest way to know is to test your card. If it still works then I wouldn't be suprised that the psu is broken since the 390 uses a lot of power.

TRENDING THREADS