FX-8320 Downclock not working properly

Mar 26, 2018
Hey I got quite the problem on my hands here. I had my FX-8320 overclocked to 4,2 GHz but my cooler stopped working and since I can't afford a new one right now, I clocked it back to 3,5 GHz/normal optimized Settings to keep it from overheating. The clock before was stable and everything was fine, but now since I have set it back, it doesn't seem to change anymore. If my values are under 3.8 GHz, it will just switch between 1.5, 2.8, 3.8 and 4 GHz every couple of seconds. I don't know what is causing this. I have tried different multipliers and BUS Speeds, I have reset the BIOS etc. but I can't seem to solve the problem. I know that the CPU itself is clocking down when not being stressed, but it goes above 3.5 GHz when gaming for example, which causes it to go up to 87 degrees Celsius, that leads to an automatic shutdown. Fast help would be appreciated.

Solution
Set everything manually including multiplier and voltage, turn off turbo or whatever it goes by in your BIOS. You should get at least new fan (probably 80 or 90mm) if it's stock cooler. Like this you are going to blow it sooner or later.
Set everything manually including multiplier and voltage, turn off turbo or whatever it goes by in your BIOS. You should get at least new fan (probably 80 or 90mm) if it's stock cooler. Like this you are going to blow it sooner or later.

Solution
Mar 26, 2018

Wow I feel so dumb right now. I seem to have activated the Turbo mode once without really knowing what it is and forgot it then, and that was really all that caused my problems. Thank you so much, but I feel a bit embarrassed right now. I think I might have never foundt this without your answer.