FX-8350 8-Core to 4-Core?

Apr 1, 2018
So...ArmA 3 itself hates AMD, but it also hates anything with more than 4-cores...The FX-8350, of course, has 8-cores. In my BIOS Settings, I can set it to run at 4-cores, but the question is: If I set it to 4-cores, would it increase performance overall for games such as ArmA 3 that only use 3-4 cores, or would it decrease said performance, by shutting off the other 4? I'm not sure whether it would focus on 4, or would just shut off 4. Thanks for the feedback!

Solution
The 8350 is generally good for 4.5-5.0GHz, but will require good cooling, it is a 125w TDP cpu after all, so budget type coolers such as the CM hyper212 are not recommended, look instead to cryorig H5, Noctua NH-D14 or similar air coolers for a minimum, or 240/280mm AIO's.

You can't over-cool a cpu, but the fx8 series and OC make it pathetically easy to under-cool.

At @4.5GHz you'll be looking at performance similar to an i7-3770 non K. At stock values on low core games, the fx gets beat easily by a 3rd gen i3. With roughly 67% of Intel 3rd gen cpu's IPC, OC on an fx is far more a necessity than a hobby to get decent game play.

Afaik, parking cores won't help, if anything it'll be a detriment as any windows background tasks etc will...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It'll be a negligible difference. The problem isn't too many cores, it's that FX cores aren't particularly powerful. You may get a slightly better overclock, but you'll have the same fundamental problem of the FX CPUs no matter how few or many cores you're using.

Apr 1, 2018

Thanks, nice to know. Any idea what I should overclock it to? My BIOS allows me to up it all the way to 8GHz, but that's insane...I was thinking around 5 or 6GHz possibly?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Depends on your cooling solution. You're certainly not going to get 6. Without going exotic, experience tinkerers can sometimes hit 5.5, but it depends on the right chip (and AMD saves the best 8350s to become godawful 9590s).

Overclocking is a process, not a setting. Also be realistic; you'll eke out a little more performance, but you'll still have an FX chip and the shortcomings that come with it.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1348623-amd-bulldozer-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard.html

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 8350 is generally good for 4.5-5.0GHz, but will require good cooling, it is a 125w TDP cpu after all, so budget type coolers such as the CM hyper212 are not recommended, look instead to cryorig H5, Noctua NH-D14 or similar air coolers for a minimum, or 240/280mm AIO's.

You can't over-cool a cpu, but the fx8 series and OC make it pathetically easy to under-cool.

At @4.5GHz you'll be looking at performance similar to an i7-3770 non K. At stock values on low core games, the fx gets beat easily by a 3rd gen i3. With roughly 67% of Intel 3rd gen cpu's IPC, OC on an fx is far more a necessity than a hobby to get decent game play.

Afaik, parking cores won't help, if anything it'll be a detriment as any windows background tasks etc will now be forced to share core space with the game instead.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS