can i i7-3820 build

Mar 22, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a cheap computer with an i7-3820. But I'm having a hard time getting a motherboard these days, so I can take advantage of a DDR3 1600 ram memory I have.
Do you have any ideas?

Solution
*disclaimer* I have no hands-on experience with this, nor would I recommend it.

I have seen reports (a lot of TechTubers: TechYesCity among others) who have had success with "cheap*" X79 boards from Aliexpress.

*Relatively speaking, cheap anyway.
$75 or so, IIRC. BUT they're generic (I've even seen reports of boards with weird hybrid-chipsets that simply shouldn't work, but do), will lack BIOS features/updates post "release", have no guarantees, and will take a long time to ship to you (depending on your location).

As for the best "low cost" built, it entirely depends what you consider low cost... along with your intended games/resolution etc.

A Ryzen-based APU *might* cut it, for some people. Less demanding games, low...
Mar 22, 2018

So, at this moment i cant built a pc using the i7-3820?

Oh you *can* but as previously stated, you are dealing with an older system build and those components are like classic cars: many components only go up in value. Why I will never understand, but a check on eBay confirms it but this is the cheapest one I saw and it's a new listing for $189 used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P9X79-WS-IPMI-LGA-2011-Intel-ATX-Motherboard-Xeon-V1-V2-Core-i7-Extreme/202278509267?epid=127392280&hash=item2f18bd1ad3:g:KIgAAOSw93ZawsJM

I'm just no fan of putting money in old hardware. Now if you have a bunch of old hardware around and want to Frankenstein a build, that's a different story.

Mar 22, 2018
So at this moment what is the best lowcoast pc gaming build for u guys?

*cuz i have a old pc, i only can use the SSD and the power supply. rams are DDR3 1600mhz and the motherboard is a dedicated ASUS"

bignastyid

Titan

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
*disclaimer* I have no hands-on experience with this, nor would I recommend it.

I have seen reports (a lot of TechTubers: TechYesCity among others) who have had success with "cheap*" X79 boards from Aliexpress.

*Relatively speaking, cheap anyway.
$75 or so, IIRC. BUT they're generic (I've even seen reports of boards with weird hybrid-chipsets that simply shouldn't work, but do), will lack BIOS features/updates post "release", have no guarantees, and will take a long time to ship to you (depending on your location).

As for the best "low cost" built, it entirely depends what you consider low cost... along with your intended games/resolution etc.

A Ryzen-based APU *might* cut it, for some people. Less demanding games, low settings, lower resolutions etc.
Potential pitfalls in lacking BIOS updates though - you'd need to verify it has the latest BIOS to support the APUs.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($91.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $252.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-03 18:31 EDT-0400

Solution