RX 580 caused pc to spontaneously power down and won’t boot unless I use on board graphics.

Benwheatley

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
I was gaming on my PC (specs to follow) when it instantly shut down and wouldn’t come back on. If I use the onboard graphics all works well, but when I use the RX580, the pc doesn’t boot and the 4+2 pin connector slot on the graphics card flashes red once, making me think it’s tge graphics card. I’ve had this card since Christmas and have never had a problem before. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
Your PSU is dying I suggest upgrading & getting a bit bigger than needed PSU lesson learnt with my card I though was faulty. I am running a 600W with my RX560 no issues since putting a decent PSU behind it I was maxing out a 480W PSU with my card. Buy a new PSU & it will come with the right connectors to.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Could also be a problem with the motherboard. The power supply could be the issue, but not necessarily.

Sorry, but there's literally no chance an RX 560 can come close to maxing a 480W power supply unless you're using some immensily power intensive CPU. You were probably just using a crappy power supply as there aren't really any good 480W ones AFAIK.

Benwheatley

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Thanks guys, I’ve tried both the PCI-e slots on my motherboard and neither work so I doubt it’s that. This power supply is one I bought a while ago because the one I was using at the time broke. It was just a fixer-upper but I’ve not had a problem and I’ve had it almost a year.

Benwheatley

Commendable
Oct 17, 2016
Used a separate PSU and same thing happens. Boots without the graphics card but not without. I will be seeing what kind of warrantee I have on the GPU and will get a replacement.

Apr 16, 2018

i have the same issue with the same card, any ideas?