1060 3GB still okay in 2018?

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014
Lets say my GeForce 970 GTX just died and I dont get paid for 2 weeks. Therefore I can wait and get a 1070 or buy a 1060 3GB now. What would you do and why?

My gaming needs are only 1080p so can a 1060 with 3GB still do high settings in 2018? Are there games yet which need more memory? And would it last 1-2 years?

I need to mention any card I buy needs to be capable of running my mixed reality headset. What is the AMD equivelent of MR capable?

Solution

OKAY LET ME GET THIS CLEAR !!

GAMES which uses more than 3gb vram cant be played at ultra... but lets says games like gta v , far cry 5 , battlefield 1 witcher 3 ,etc can be played at ultra...

basically if a game doesnt use more than 3gb of vram you can play it at ultra..... but if a game uses more than 3gb of vram you still can play at ultra as game textures will be loaded into ram but it will be stuttery ..

personally even i own a gtx 1060 3gb i play all games on high or very high even ultra if it doesnt use more than 3gb of vram TRUST me there is noo difference in textures between high and ultra...
There is more to the difference between the GTX1060 3gb and the 6gb version.
The 6gb version has more CUDA cores.
Graphics card prices are crazy now.
I would consider buying a EVGA GTX1060 3gb now.
It will be comparable in performance to your GTX970.
If it does the job for you, then great.

If, within 90 days, you think you want more, you can use the EVGA free 90 day trade up option for a stronger card.
Read the fine print on this at the EVGA web site.

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

literally every game can be played on high with 3gb .. but not ultra it uses more than 3gb but you know you can reduce textures to high and rest ultra :D

Yash_rc

Reputable
Jun 16, 2017

OKAY LET ME GET THIS CLEAR !!

GAMES which uses more than 3gb vram cant be played at ultra... but lets says games like gta v , far cry 5 , battlefield 1 witcher 3 ,etc can be played at ultra...

basically if a game doesnt use more than 3gb of vram you can play it at ultra..... but if a game uses more than 3gb of vram you still can play at ultra as game textures will be loaded into ram but it will be stuttery ..

personally even i own a gtx 1060 3gb i play all games on high or very high even ultra if it doesnt use more than 3gb of vram TRUST me there is noo difference in textures between high and ultra.. unless you compare and really look close which i dont think anyone does while playing the game...

i used to be a gtx 1070 owner ... but my brother took it off with him (A hole)

Solution
May 4, 2018

lmao