4152 reallocated sectors count :D

abdallahrida21

Commendable
Sep 26, 2017
i'm in shock right now and i know it sounds ridiculous to even ask about it
but my hdd shows 4152 reallocated sectors count on crystal disk info ...
here is my question, can this huge number occur all of a sudden ? and i'm asking that because it only showed a response when i put this hdd from one setup to another and installed a new windows
or this number accumulate over years
second question is there any possible reason to fix this ?
i've made my backup and formatted the hdd and reinstalled windows but again this problem and warning messages only showed up when i put the hdd from one old setup to a new one
thnx in advance

Solution
1) It can happen over time and very quickly. I do IT Work and I will take my bosses laptop hard drive for example. It had 1 pending sector count. We started to clone. It failed a few times but evently we got it to go. Now at the end it had 22 pending sector counts. I also had a Seagate 1.5 TB long ago. it had a few thousand RaSC. The replacement (i went though 4 drives in total including the orginal) lasted HALF as long as the previous. Made me think they just fixed the drive and sent back the same one sometimes.

2) No. These are sectors that are technically bad. A Reallocated sector is a spare sector. The original one was a pending sector count, which if the drive could get the data it becomes a Reallocated. If it an't it becomes a...
1) It can happen over time and very quickly. I do IT Work and I will take my bosses laptop hard drive for example. It had 1 pending sector count. We started to clone. It failed a few times but evently we got it to go. Now at the end it had 22 pending sector counts. I also had a Seagate 1.5 TB long ago. it had a few thousand RaSC. The replacement (i went though 4 drives in total including the orginal) lasted HALF as long as the previous. Made me think they just fixed the drive and sent back the same one sometimes.

2) No. These are sectors that are technically bad. A Reallocated sector is a spare sector. The original one was a pending sector count, which if the drive could get the data it becomes a Reallocated. If it an't it becomes a uncorrectable or Bad sector. either way they are ALL bad sectors it just matter if it was able to recovery data in time.

Now SOMETIMES doing a full format can fix it but most of the time just makes it worse showing that the drive was going it and didn't platue on the dieing.

This is not something that just happened though more than likely. I mean maybe withing a few days, weeks, or months but not a Oh my HDD is fine, install it in another pc and POOF 4k RaSC on it. Doesn't work like that. With that many I think this drive has been going out for a while.

Solution

abdallahrida21

Commendable
Sep 26, 2017
Thanks drtweak and Yes this hdd was working for couple of years now so i think you're right
But why it showed up warning message "windows has detected a hdd problem" only when i put it in the new setup ? Maybe this just revealed the problem not causing it ?

USAFRet

Titan
I had a nearly brand new drive (5 weeks old) go from prefect to dead in about 36 hours.

Formatting and reinstalling the OS on it may have stressed bad sectors that were not previously used.
Revealing a problem that was already there.

It is dying/dead.