i7 950 legit or not?

Rextus

Commendable
Aug 17, 2017
I have spotted a cheap i7 950 and was wondering if I can, based on the indications on the lid and on the chip, determine if it's a real one or a dud. Thanks

Solution
Probably easy to fake with a little effort, but that's why you should have EBay, Paypal or whatever options to return the product or get your money back as well as check the EBay score of the seller.

Other:
It's still a great CPU for basic office or even light gaming. I have the i7-860 which is basically identical in my sister's PC (hand-me-down) with W10 on it working great.

May eventually see a virus though due to Spectre/Meltdown that Windows and/or anti-virus can't stop. I would consider using Acronis True Image or similar to automate an OS partition backup if you have important info.
Probably easy to fake with a little effort, but that's why you should have EBay, Paypal or whatever options to return the product or get your money back as well as check the EBay score of the seller.

Other:
It's still a great CPU for basic office or even light gaming. I have the i7-860 which is basically identical in my sister's PC (hand-me-down) with W10 on it working great.

May eventually see a virus though due to Spectre/Meltdown that Windows and/or anti-virus can't stop. I would consider using Acronis True Image or similar to automate an OS partition backup if you have important info.

Solution

I agree, but if it was $50USD or less it may be a great option for a failed CPU replacement or replacement for an even weaker CPU in a system that otherwise works fine for light usage.

Having said that, you can find complete new office PC's on sale for as little as $300USD or so complete with Windows 10, 4GB+ system memory etc.

Nobody asked, but here's a $370 office PC I spotted: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-intel-core-i3-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-black/5775302.p?skuId=5775302

Just in case the goal was to piece together cheap parts used I want to say that's generally a bad idea, especially when you factor in the cost of Windows, warranty, reliability etc.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that is true, but when the R3-2200G exists and you can build a solid system with strong onboard video for less than $400, there's no reason to even consider a 9 year old CPU is there?