RX 480 and RX 470 Crossfire Issue

DiscountPringles

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I bought an RX 480 and RX 470 for mining but that is no longer profitable so I've decided to use them in my gaming PC instead.
I wanted to use them with crossfire (which I've read is do-able) but in the AMD settings program I don't have a crossfire option where there is supposed to be one. All the drivers and program is updated and freshly installed but I still do not see any option to enable crossfire.

The only two issues I could think of is that:
1 - My motherboard doesn't support crossfire (couldn't find an answer on that)
2 - I am using a usb powered bridge adapter with a pci-e connector to my rx470 because I don't have enough room between to the two cards to allow airflow. I am not sure if that is causing an issue and maybe limiting the rx 470 because it is only a pci-e port

PC Specs:
Motherboard: MSI B250 gaming pro carbon
CPU: Intel i7 7700k
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ rx480 4GB, AMD rx470 4GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4
PSU: Corsair CX500

If anyone has done this before or has a work-around I would love to hear it, thanks

Link to guy who crossfired an RX 480 and 470: https://wccftech.com/rx-480-rx-470-crossfire/

Solution
Your pcie adapter could be an issue for CF. Discard it and use your pciex16 for both cards directly, just to check whether it actually works. Both your mobo and your cpu have the resources to run in Crossfire. PSU would be an issue though as mentioned. I would just use a single RX 480 though. More stability, no need for psu upgrade, good performance.

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Your power supply is going to be a big issue when you run the RX480 and RX470 together. I have the same PSU with i7 4790 paired with RX580 and I have had times where my PC will just shut down ( only in PUBG tho) due to power draw/issues.

I also personally think it is not advisable to run 2 different card in CF. I would raither run 2x RX480 or 2x RX470

Just my 2cents.

DiscountPringles

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

I have worried about the PSU but I have both cards hooked up and I haven't run in to any issues so far, I figured I would see if I can even get these cards working together before I worry about the power supply.

If I had planned to use these for gaming I would have grabbed to rx480s but this was last year when mining was crazy so I was just grabbing whatever cards I could, If it comes to it I may sell the 470 and buy a 480 but I heard that these cards are compatible in crossfire.
Thanks though

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014

Cool beans...

Your pcie adapter could be an issue for CF. Discard it and use your pciex16 for both cards directly, just to check whether it actually works. Both your mobo and your cpu have the resources to run in Crossfire. PSU would be an issue though as mentioned. I would just use a single RX 480 though. More stability, no need for psu upgrade, good performance.

Solution