Dec 1, 2014
PC Specs:
Processor: Ryzen 7 1800X
GPU: MSI GTX 970
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
RAM: 16GB(8GBx2) 3200MHz DDR4
PSU: Corsair 600W

Boot Drive: Transcend 256GB SSD: TS256GSSD470S
Notes: This drive was healthy and working on my old Windows 7 build, and worked on the old build when I installed Windows 10. This problem first began when I built my new PC.

I have for the past 6 months been dealing with the mysterious 100% disk usage freezing to which no one has seemed to find a definitive solution to. To elaborate my boot drive which is an SSD every 10 minutes or so spikes to 100% disk usage, resulting in my PC locking up and becoming unusable for about 20 seconds. In task manager it appears to be at 100%, but it shows no read or write during the spike period. According to the research I have done across a plethora of forum posts, everyone tells you that task manager will never show it, but ResMon will. Unfortunately for me this is not the case. My resource monitor shows the disk activity to be 100% during the spikes, but still shows no I/O on the disk. With the inability to try to pinpoint the issue using the monitor, I have tried just about every documented solution to the problem, with still no luck. This includes...

Disabling Windows Search
Disabling Superfetch
Disabling Telemetry Services
Disabling Windows Defender
Disabling Notifications
Disabling Link State Power Management
Manually Setting Virtual Memory
Clearing Restore Points
Adjusting Settings in Google Chrome
Uninstalled Skype
Virus Scans
2 Different Disk Health Scans in Addition to the Windows chkdsk
SSD Firmware Updates
Use of a Different SATA Cable, and Port on the Motherboard
Disconnecting My Other Drives
Uninstallation of Certain Windows Updates
3x CLEAN Re-installations of Windows

There were a couple other registry edits that I attempted that I found online that I have since forgotten, but I think the point is clear that there has been quite a bit that I have attempted, with still no success. For starters I would like to know if anyone can think of anything else that I could try to fix this.

As an additional question, I recently saw a response to someone with this issue on a forum that suggested that his hard drive was not compatible with his motherboard. I at first though that this was ridiculous, because my presumption was that hard drives with a connection, consistent with one supported by the motherboard would work regardless of the board (ie. SATA III). But then I was curious, so I looked up the motherboard specifications, and sure enough there was a storage compatibility list on which my hard drive was not on. Despite this being the case I am still not convinced that hard drive compatibility is the problem, but replacing my drive with one off of their list is about the only thing that I haven't tried. Is this something that I should consider, or should I continue looking for another solution?

Try another SSD entirely? (Sometimes a proverbial walking duck is only a just a duck....)

(Have you tried secure erase utility?)
https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/Software-10/

(I'd expect it to not let you secure erase your OS drive from within windows, but,....you are running out of options sort of pitching it into the trash, or , testing it thoroughly within another computer....)

mswagftw

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

I have not tried a different SSD primarily because I don't have one, but I did use the secure erase utility one of the times that I was wiping the drive, and found no success.
I may just end up buying a new one trying it, and returning it if for whatever reason it doesn't solve the problem.
But of course I would still rather solve the problem without spending the money if at all possible.