Is my 1080 optimized for my pc

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
I am running a i7 7700k with a msi z270 mb and msi aero gtx 1080 gpu. I also use a 144hz 1080 p monitor. My main question is, should this card be running the games I play better? currently playing mass effect andromeda and I have to lock my fps at 60-75 fps at ultra-high settings or my gpu sky rockets usage to 100% at 82c.

I also play fallout 4 at ultra also capped fps at 75 and my usage in the 40-55% usage and temps between 55-65c.

Divinity original sin 2 also capped at 75fps and setting ultra however temps and usage do go higher during intense fights.

I have read threads and seen videos of game play where people are getting more fps and lower temps on their systems. Maybe overclocking with a after market cooler on gpu?

Drivers with nvidia seem to be up to date as well as all my other drivers. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
So it's only the temperature issue that's actually stopping you from getting more out of the card. You probably need to set the fan to run a bit faster (use MSI afterburner), I know it will start to get noisy, but what do you expect from a reference cooler?

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

Sorry i forgot to mention that this temps are with my custom fan speed as i do have msi afterburner. My curve is fan speed 20% higher than current temp. So at 50c it’s at 70%. At 60c it’s at 80%. Then at 70c it jumps to 100%. I would love to get an after market cooler but not sure which is compatible and if voiding the warranty on the gpu is worth it.

What do you think? I am fairly new to pic gaming but i have read articles.

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

It was a prebuilt pc i got from best buy. I was not confident enough to build one myself. I always played on console but really wanted a gaming pc and prices for gpus were kinda high. I have been tinkering here and though. I did buy some cosair 120 mm fans 2 to intake from front and 1 exhaust from top to help a little bit. i would have gotten more but there is no more room for cpu fans on my mobo. My cpu cooler that came with the rig takes 3 slots. it has a push pull config on the radiator is my guess cause i see two fans that are sandwiching the radiator. For my next pc I do plan to build my own as I see all the cons that came with a prebuilt.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018

The fan curve on my 1080 Ti is 2x the temperature, starting at 60% up to 30c and rising to 100% at 50c and that keeps me under 65c at all times - maybe that's too noisy for some, but I'd suggest start at 2x, see if that controls your temperatures and lower the fans a little at a time if they're too loud. What case do you have?

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

Ok i will adjust to your fan curve and see the results tomorrow after work. I have an ibuypower trace 931 from Best Buy could not seem to find the case itself though.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018

Awesome, cheers. Please check if you have any case fans besides the ones on the liquid cooler at the back. If not, that might be another way we can get your temps down.

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

Took a couple of days to be able to game enough to get a good enough sample. changed my fan speeds to what you recommended and i do see a slight tic down. about 2-3 degrees. lowered my ac in my room to 70 degrees Fahrenheit and removed all the dust covers to let more air flow in and out. i was only able to add another 3 fans on my motherboard. liquid cooling on cpu took up the other 3 slots. they were 120 mm cosair fans.

so andromeda now runs a little better though on ultra i still do need to bring the fps down a bit and for fallout i now never get above 70 c. so there was some improvement. I was thinking of moving to a 1440p monitor but i do not think its a good idea to do that till i upgrade to a different gpu down the line.

thanks to everyone who helped out!

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

do you know by any chance if 83c is the max before the card throttles down? I noticed on ME: andromeda the most intensive game I have right now that my card can push close to the 144 fps and be steady at 81c but as soon as i hit a steady 82c my fps starts to fluctuate.

That being said, is higher graphical settings better to have over the 100+ fps or does that entirely depend on the game i am playing? I ask cause i am seriously thinking of getting a 1440P monitor. If my card cannot handle these settings I doubt i could do 60 fps at 1440P with comfortable temps.

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018

I'm glad that the fan adjustments made some difference but I'm sorry it's not transformative. Given these results and the fact that others have said that the temperatures you are getting are normal for your card and cooler I'm not sure doing anything further to increase airflow would help enough to make any practical difference.

Your belief about moving to 1440p is correct, the 80% increase in pixels means your GPU has to put that much extra work into rendering each frame so that would compound the problem rather than solving it.

Sorry to be the you-know-what in the punchbowl. Good luck.

Solution

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

Now if i could sell this card and get a different gtx1080 which one should i aim for? there are two I am currently looking at right now. a zotac mini 1080 amp edition https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-DisplayPort-Dual-link-ZT-P10800H-10P/dp/B01GCAVRSU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524248627&sr=8-2&keywords=mini%2Bgtx%2B1080&dpID=51knQeq9E9L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1#customerReviews and an asus rog strix 1080 https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-STRIX-Graphics-STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING/dp/B01K5F8MJK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1524249972&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+rog+strix+gtx+1080&dpID=51JaCX3Oe1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

jm1

Honorable
Apr 14, 2018

I'm no expert on which of those cooling solutions will work best, but when I've had the option of a competitively priced ROG product I've generally gone with it. In my experience ROG will do exactly what it says it will, meaning if you read the specs closely you won't be disappointed, but I'm not familiar with Zotac at all, so hopefully someone who is can weigh in.