Is really the value of -150 mV for undervolting of the i7-6700 HQ CPU the safest?

Maq___

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
Hi all,

I decided to undervolt my Lenovo Y-700's CPU : i7-6700 HQ ,and in this YouTube video :

https://youtu.be/efLaGtf6rGU

the YouTuber,says that the value of -150 mV is the safest value for undervolting of the i7-6700 HQ!

Is this true?
And my second question is,if I properly undervolt the CPU,then will I be able to lock the Turbo Boost of 3.50 GHz for all of the time without any issue?
I cannot overclock the CPU ,but I can lock Turbo Boost for all of the time via ThrottleStop!

And I plan to undervolt the CPU via ThrottleStop!

And by the way is the undervolting completely safe?

Please help me!
Thanks to all in advance!
Best regards!

Solution
Why are you doing this? As far as what the YouTube guy says. That is what works best for him. You can not apply his settings and say your system will work the same way. All cpu are different, even if they are the same sku. If you are doing this to save battery life for longer unplugged use, just know you will not get the same results as him. Also undervolting can create instability to your system. Also using ThrottleStop to lock turbo boost will add heat to your laptop that it may not be able to handle. This could damage your system.

For a laptop I personally think it is better to just manage your time on it appropriately.

urbancamper

Distinguished
Why are you doing this? As far as what the YouTube guy says. That is what works best for him. You can not apply his settings and say your system will work the same way. All cpu are different, even if they are the same sku. If you are doing this to save battery life for longer unplugged use, just know you will not get the same results as him. Also undervolting can create instability to your system. Also using ThrottleStop to lock turbo boost will add heat to your laptop that it may not be able to handle. This could damage your system.

For a laptop I personally think it is better to just manage your time on it appropriately.

Solution

Countgreen

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
There are other better tutorials on how to undervolt you cpu. Why are you doing it? You have to find the best mV offest for your chip. By using Intel's tuning utility there is no risk of damage. If it crashed the computer just restarts. Using Throttlestop isn't the best idea... With the undervolt and throttlestop you should be able to be at 3.5 with no heat issues. Possibly stability issues.