i5 4570 Bottleneck on GTX 1070

Malettman

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016
Hi everyone! Im having a problem while playing high graphic games like Battlefield 1, The Division, Vermintide 2 and, Rise of the Tomb Raider where I seem to get stutters with fluctuating GPU usage and if stable only around 56% usage while my CPU is running nearly to 100% usage. I've been thinking that my processor cannot keep up with my graphics card then causing the spikes in my GPU usage. Should I upgrade my system because of the supposed bottleneck? Im considering switching to AMD instead and getting a Ryzen 5 2600x with a new mother board and some ram. I am open to any suggestions so please respond below with feedback. Thanks!!!

Current Rig:
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 ASUS TURBO
CPU: i-5-4570 @ 3.20GHz
Memory: 8GB Ram

Solution
Please, read into this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQOWVLxk0DOFXKfzCmz9lEZ-qpMb7mIvt8KUYek69A8/edit#gid=0
You can also monitor your CPU utilisation while gaming, if it is constantly at 100% you have a bottleneck, otherwise no reason to worry! Have you tried shut down processes running in the background?

If you still have stutters and no ability to overclock, an upgrade is justified. The Ryzen 5 2600x is a great processor, that would not bottleneck and would be a great upgrade!

sourodip

Distinguished
Going with the Ryzen 2xxx is definitely a good choice. Like theonerm2 said, more number of cores and threads would help largely and that too with the improvements in the newer generation would change the scenario completely(hope so). The bottleneck also depends on the games you are playing. The processor you have is quite decent but it will hold you back in the demanding games, so you may have to sacrifice some eye candy features in some games. Most of the demanding games require a lot of memory too. So, I wouldn't blame the processor alone since it might be the case that you are being held back in some titles due to non-availability of memory. By the way, what resolution are you playing at?

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Please, read into this spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EQOWVLxk0DOFXKfzCmz9lEZ-qpMb7mIvt8KUYek69A8/edit#gid=0
You can also monitor your CPU utilisation while gaming, if it is constantly at 100% you have a bottleneck, otherwise no reason to worry! Have you tried shut down processes running in the background?

If you still have stutters and no ability to overclock, an upgrade is justified. The Ryzen 5 2600x is a great processor, that would not bottleneck and would be a great upgrade!

Solution

Malettman

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Ok I will keep the ram in mind. I play normally at 1080p but sometimes I will use Nvidia's Resolution scaling (or DSR) in the games that I am able to run with a stable 60 fps at 1440p.

Malettman

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

That Spreadsheet makes total sense. I have next to nothing running in the background other than steam or origin. In Battlefield 1 for example, I run it on ultra at 1080p and I do get 100% CPU usage and massive fluctuations in GPU usage. Looks like I'm getting an upgrade!