Hd 7970 Fail

Ivan Komitovw

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Okay so i just bought a hd 7970 used but the thing is the card is not posting any signal to the monitor but the fans are spinning.And when i click the on/off button it instanly turns off so i guess its not the port.
Ive tried DDU
Ive tried another GPU workes perfectly fine
Any ideas?My psu is FSP Hyper 700w

Solution
If you have a newer system, that uses UEFI and SecureBoot, you might have to go into the BIOS and disable SecureBoot, and there may be some Legacy ROM option, which you would have to enable. This is what I had to do to get my son's Skylake-based Dell system to work with an R7 250E (which is basically just a 7750).

Note, however, that, while the screen was blank, the system would actually boot, and Windows 10 would come up and try to download AMD drivers. It's just that no signal was going to the monitor.

That is about the only thing I can think of offhand that may be at issue with your card. But this would only apply if you have a relatively modern system.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you have a newer system, that uses UEFI and SecureBoot, you might have to go into the BIOS and disable SecureBoot, and there may be some Legacy ROM option, which you would have to enable. This is what I had to do to get my son's Skylake-based Dell system to work with an R7 250E (which is basically just a 7750).

Note, however, that, while the screen was blank, the system would actually boot, and Windows 10 would come up and try to download AMD drivers. It's just that no signal was going to the monitor.

That is about the only thing I can think of offhand that may be at issue with your card. But this would only apply if you have a relatively modern system.

Solution