i7 8700 ( non k ) or Ryzen 7 2700 for gaming ?

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018
hi , im building a pc for gaming at 1080p 75hz with a gtx 1070ti
and im having a hard time choosing from these two the i8 8700 (non k) and the ryzen 2700
if i go with intel i must replace the stock cooler and get the cryorig h7
and if i go with ryzen i will use the stock cooler
i wont be able to upgrade for the next 4-5 years and i dont mind lowering the graphics down
but i will get a 144hz monitor next year , so what is the best choice for me ?

Solution
The percent will stay the same, does not matter the fps. For example, if one CPU gets 7% better fps than the other, then when running at 100fps, the other CPU would be running at 93fps (because 7 out of 100 is 7%). But if the same CPU is running at 50fps and get 7% better fps than the other CPU then the other CPU is running at 46.5fps (because 3.5 out of 50 is 7%).

As far as future proof, they are really both the same. They are both great CPUs. Its like asking which is better, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, a good argument can be made both ways. If you are just gonna game and are not on a tight budget, then go with the 8700. It is faster than the AMD CPU at gaming. But if you on a tight budget and want to do more than game, AMD...
For gaming alone, Intel has an edge by about 5-10%. But for workstation task such as streaming, the extra threads of the 2700 will be very beneficial.

Both CPUs are very good and you really cant go wrong. So if one is significantly cheaper, then I would take that.

Additionally, you may want to consider the 8400 or the 2600. Those are very good CPUs and they are priced a good bit cheaper and are not far behind the 8700/2700.

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018
i see intel gets 50fps more than ryzen when the frame count is above 100
so will that happen under 100 ?
like if i go with intel and play ac origins and get 80fps for example
with amd i will get less by 5-10% ?

No sure where you are getting your numbers from, but I think you are mistaken.

Here is a review of the 2700x, the 8700k averages 7% faster fps. Does not matter if it is over 100fps or under. Games will differ though. In some games the AMD chip will run better, other games the Intel chip will run better. On average, the 8700 will have 5-10% more fps.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700X/13.html

In the review above, AC Origins the 8700k got 97.1fps and the 2700x got 90.5fps. That is right around a 7% difference.

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

so it matters at lower fps as well
what is more future proof then ?

The percent will stay the same, does not matter the fps. For example, if one CPU gets 7% better fps than the other, then when running at 100fps, the other CPU would be running at 93fps (because 7 out of 100 is 7%). But if the same CPU is running at 50fps and get 7% better fps than the other CPU then the other CPU is running at 46.5fps (because 3.5 out of 50 is 7%).

As far as future proof, they are really both the same. They are both great CPUs. Its like asking which is better, a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, a good argument can be made both ways. If you are just gonna game and are not on a tight budget, then go with the 8700. It is faster than the AMD CPU at gaming. But if you on a tight budget and want to do more than game, AMD makes a good chip.

In the end, you really need to spend your money on a good GPU as it has a much bigger impact on gaming than the CPU. It would not be very smart to pair a 8700/2700 with a 1050ti. If that is the case you should get a 8400 and move up to a better GPU with the money you save.

Solution

Because you're using AC origins. In games like GTAV the 8700K stomps all over the 2700.

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

now i understand , thank you
but i still dont know if that percentage is worth paying the 30$ for the cooler

Well the cooler will help it run quieter and cooler anyway whuch are nice pluses and if you have a window it's look sexier. The Be quiet Pure rock slim is $25 on amazon currently with free shipping on prime which is a nice looking cooler with good performance though they aren't the nicest to mount on the higher end. thoughI'm 90% sure the intel pure rock is just a push down and the AMD mount is a clip.

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

so you mean going with intel is worth the performance and also getting the air cooler is good too ?

With a 144Hz monitor yes as intel does have a sizeable lead in a lot of games at higher frame rates. An aftermarket cooler s obviously a good choice too as coffee lake runs blisteringly hot and the stock fan will get rather shouty

Because you're using AC origins. In games like GTAV the 8700K stomps all over the 2700

That is really not true. Here is the Tomshardware review of the 2700x and at stock settings the 2700x is only 2fps behind the 8700k on GTAV. That is a 2% difference. I challenge anyone to spot 2% fewer framerates with the human eye.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-review,5571.html

With a 144Hz monitor yes as intel does have a sizeable lead in a lot of games at higher frame rates. An aftermarket cooler s obviously a good choice too as coffee lake runs blisteringly hot and the stock fan will get rather shouty

What does 144hz monitor have to do with it? Some games Intel will perform better, and other games AMD will perform better. But on an average, the Intel CPUs are about 5-10% better fps in gaming, regardless if you are playing at 144fps or 60fps, 5% is still 5%.

Additionally, those test were done with a GTX 1080 and only highly overclocked CPUs were getting a few fps over 100. So if the OP wants to push 144fps on modern AAA games, then he better get a 1080ti instead of the 1070ti to have a chance.

On ultra Removed settings which makes you GPU limited. Dial it back to high and the 8700 skyrockets whereas the 2700x kinda stalls.

Watch the language, the use of profanity is not allowed here

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

but like after 3-4 years will the i7 bottleneck the 1070ti or a gpu at that time ? if so , the ryzen wont ?

What I mean by the bottleneck has to do with the resolution. At 1080p, the GPU does not have to work nearly as hard so this forces the CPU to work harder to keep up. But when you move to higher resolutions, the bottleneck moves to the GPU because it has to work much harder to render the frames with the extra pixels. This is why at 1440p and 4k, there is virtually no difference in fps between the 8700/2700. At higher resolution it is all on the GPU.

As far as what will happen in 3 or 4 years, no one can say for sure. Best guess in the i7 and the 2700 will have the same performance gap then as it does today. If games at that time can use the extra threads that the 2700 offers, then there may be a bump. But those games will be few and far between.

CPUs don't show their age as soon as a GPU. So chances are in 3 or 4 years, your GPU will be holding you back more than your CPU. Not that the 1070ti is a bad GPU, but the GPU is much more critical to gaming than the CPU.

therios

Proper
May 3, 2018

then by time as my gtx 1070 ages the frames will get lower so the bottleneck wont happen at both senarios right ?

I think you are placing too much emphasis on bottleneck. As your system ages, new games will be developed that will push your hardware further than games push it today. Thus, you will see your performance drop in those games.

When new games that require more CPU horsepower are released, older CPUs will hold back the GPU. When new games that require more GPU horsepower, older GPUs will hold you back.

All that you can do is pick the best hardware available that you can afford. Considering you are deciding between the 8700/2700, those are two of the best gaming CPUs in the world, so you really cant go wrong.