100% disk usage?

Xoltia

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
Every now and then my C: drive will go up to 100%, usually when I have multiple programs running (Discord, Firefox, a game, etc.) My C drive is an SSD and all my games are installed on my hard drive so I'm not sure what causes this. When it goes to 100% usage the cpu and and gpu usage lower to near 5%, which makes everything either freeze or lag until it goes back to normal.

Nothing on speccy or similar?

Reason I'm asking is that one of mine kept getting stuck garbage collecting, but it was a comparatively old model and would only collect whilst 100% idle which an OS disk never is.

They suggested letting it run without data cable in, just power and sat in bios so it has time to do its thing.

Xoltia

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017

It says the same thing on speccy.
Do you know of anyway I can check where the disk usage is comming from? The only programs I have open running off the C drive are PyCharm, Firefox, and Discord, all my games are on one of my hard drives. I tried using resource monitor but there doesnt seem to be a way to only show process on a specific drive.

Xoltia

Reputable
Feb 12, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Xoltia : "100% disk usage caused by "system""

Whenever I have multiple applications running at once, my C drive's usage goes up super high, especially while loading into a game, even though all my games are on a separate drive. My C drive is an SSD and my two other drives are hard drives. For some reason when I load up an application, even if its not on the C drive, the process "System" causes a lot of usage.
unknown.png