450 BT good enough for overclock? (Ryzen 3 1200)

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Hey guys,

So I was just wondering if a EVGA 450 BT would be any good for overclocking a Ryzen 3 1200 to atleast a stable 3.5-3.9 Ghz.

Specs-

CPU - Ryzen 3 1200
GPU - GTX 950
RAM - 8gb DDR4 2400 Mhz
Storage - Blue WD 1 TB
MOBO - ASRock AB350M PRO4 mATX

-Tyrone

Solution
You may want to rig an intake fan at the front of the case or on the side panel if possible. Many times there's holes at the front to allow airflow into the case, even if there isn't a fan holder there (zip ties will hold it in place). For the side of the case you'd need to drill intake holes (which you can also zip tie the fan to). Truthfully, if you're at least replacing some parts, better to pick up a new, cheap case that comes with some fans and has better ventilation.

An easy test to see if your system is getting too hot - game normally for 45 mins, pause the game, open the side of the case and place the back of your hand against the bare metal of the power supply casing inside. How hot is it?

Remember heat is one of the primary...
How hot does it get where you're at?
There's some talk about bad output degradation at higher internal (PSU) temps with that unit but there's no way to know for sure what it'll do without extensive testing. I would cautiously say that you are okay as long as the draw doesn't get above 375W but you may be digging an early grave for that PSU if you're constantly pulling above 350.

Tigerwarrior1

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017

Well my room gets pretty hot, I only have one external fan in the back because this case I'm using is old, and I haven't tested the temps yet.

You may want to rig an intake fan at the front of the case or on the side panel if possible. Many times there's holes at the front to allow airflow into the case, even if there isn't a fan holder there (zip ties will hold it in place). For the side of the case you'd need to drill intake holes (which you can also zip tie the fan to). Truthfully, if you're at least replacing some parts, better to pick up a new, cheap case that comes with some fans and has better ventilation.

An easy test to see if your system is getting too hot - game normally for 45 mins, pause the game, open the side of the case and place the back of your hand against the bare metal of the power supply casing inside. How hot is it?

Remember heat is one of the primary enemies of electronic systems. The hotter is stays in the case, the quicker your components are going to show signs of aging, including that brand new motherboard you just got.

Solution