Getting 400 Mbps through modem and only 100 Mbps through router

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
When I use Ethernet directly with the modem I get 400 Mbps, but when I use Ethernet or wifi with the router I get 100 Mbps. I've tried several cat5e cables and I get the same result every time.

The default router (Sagemcom Fast 5260) and one I bought (Netgear Nighthawk AC1750, Model R6700) get the same results as well. The firmware for the routers were also up to date.

Solution
wifi speeds will be " UP TO" depending onm the channel you are on, based on interference from electrical devices, witring in walls, furnace, Air conditionner, vaccum being passed in a room.

grab your laptop connecti to your 5G wifi, anf run this applicassstion from the MS store. (if not win 10 then use your IOS or Android phone)
WiFi Analyzer : https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH33N0N

make sure the default channel (likely 6) of your router is not in competition with other, when you look at the chart of channels if you see one empty, then switch the router WIFI channel (advanced functions of router) to another.... for example I use 9 because 4,5, and 6 are loaded with neighborhood wifi router's all stack over each other...

Ralston18

Titan
All network devices or is just one particular network device are affected?

What make and model modem do you have?

How is the router connected to the modem: Modem to router [WAN] or modem to router [LAN]?

Which one, modem or router, is responsible for providing DHCP IP addresses? Only the modem (or actually modem/router) or the router should have DHCP enabled.

Who manages or otherwise has administrative rights to the modem or router?

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

All network devices are affected

Arris TM1602

WAN

I'm not sure what DHCP is, but I found this in the LAN Setup menu.
poAUBOu.png

I have full access to both. The modem was provided by Spectrum.

When you tested direct to modem and then tested with router did you change any other variables?

Try transferring a file over the LAN on the router and see if it caps at < 12.5MBs/100Mbs if it doesn't then the issue is from the modem to the router. make sure that cable has been tested to reach over 100Mbs.

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

When transferring a file over LAN it caps around 10 MB/s, but I've gotten to around 18 MB/s with Steam downloads(Once it reached 30 MB/s for a few moments). All Ethernet cables I've tested get 400 MB/s when plugged into the modem. I've tried two routers and they both get 90-130 Mbps on speed tests.

It's very odd that two routers, one being new, would bottleneck you. Also try only plugging one computer into the router at a time. One computer may be flooding your system if it's infected.

Ralston18

Titan
With two routers experiencing slow performance I am wondering about other devices on the network as well as the cables per failboat's post.

[Sidebar: Getting to the point where I do not trust most product labeling and even if there was applicable testing and certification etc. that is no guarantee that the cables that come off of the production line are going to be up to the standards. Little or no QA for most bulk commodities such as cables. Costs too much. Most people do not bother to return small defective products so manufacturer's have nothing to lose.]

Any printers, NAS boxes, computers, security camera's on your network? Looking for some device that may be causing problems when the full network is connected, i.e, the router versus direct connection to modem.

Take all devices off of the network and check performance. If performance is as it should be start adding devices back one by one waiting a few minutes between additions. Determine if one particular device can be identified as the cause of the performance drop.

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

When my PC was the only thing on the network I got 80 Mbps.

rcIppWJ.png

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

I retested everything with the same Ethernet and computer and now the Ethernet when plugged into the router is fast as it should while the WiFi has slowed down a bit.

https://imgur.com/a/REI6wrn

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

No, I need the WiFi to reach those speeds. My Modem and router are not near my main PC. I didn't think WiFi would decrease the speeds this much. It's not the range because those WiFi tests were done on a laptop right next to the router.

Wifi is not great over 100Mbs. You need the latest equipment on both sides. a 2x2 or 3x3 mimo dual band AC access point might help. You also need an upgraded wifi adapter on your pc. I don't think you will get 400Mbs.

Powerlines are a gamble. It can work as well for one connection and it's faster than wifi. Neither option are a good alternative to running an ethernet cable.

wifi speeds will be " UP TO" depending onm the channel you are on, based on interference from electrical devices, witring in walls, furnace, Air conditionner, vaccum being passed in a room.

grab your laptop connecti to your 5G wifi, anf run this applicassstion from the MS store. (if not win 10 then use your IOS or Android phone)
WiFi Analyzer : https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NBLGGH33N0N

make sure the default channel (likely 6) of your router is not in competition with other, when you look at the chart of channels if you see one empty, then switch the router WIFI channel (advanced functions of router) to another.... for example I use 9 because 4,5, and 6 are loaded with neighborhood wifi router's all stack over each other.. and yes this will cause a lower speed. (see arrow indicating where you would want to place your router channel to be at )
LGvajWb.png

also check signal strength at the location where item will be used for same interferences (depending on location in house you could be closer to other routers on the same channel (any signal over -70db you can ignore) best range of power is under -40 to -30 db. then test your speed from location.

once tested with 5G then test again for 2.4G rinse and repate process for channel/interference/location.

Solution

iamE

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Alright. I look into wiring some Ethernet below the house then.