i7-4790 supported BIOS

May 23, 2018
I have a Memphis2-s motherboard and according to the manufacturer website it supports the i7 core. I was wondering if my current BIOS (which is a0.04 according to command prompt) will support the new core. I’m fairly new to upgrading PCs so if anything sounds off please correct me. Feel free to ask for more info about my pc if needed.

Solution
The motherboard you mentioned appears to be put in prebuilt HP systems. Prebuilt systems aren't as easy to figure out and upgrade because the manufacturer tends to make as much as possible proprietary because they want you to go to them for upgrades and repair. I say this because I don't see bios updates available for that motherboard.

Looking at the support page it looks like all CPUs that are compatible with that motherboard are the newer Haswell refresh models. So, I would imagine you already have a Haswell refresh CPU on that list; therefore, the i7-4790 should work without a need to update the bios.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04648625

The Haswell refresh CPUs came out later than the original Haswell CPUs and required...
The motherboard you mentioned appears to be put in prebuilt HP systems. Prebuilt systems aren't as easy to figure out and upgrade because the manufacturer tends to make as much as possible proprietary because they want you to go to them for upgrades and repair. I say this because I don't see bios updates available for that motherboard.

Looking at the support page it looks like all CPUs that are compatible with that motherboard are the newer Haswell refresh models. So, I would imagine you already have a Haswell refresh CPU on that list; therefore, the i7-4790 should work without a need to update the bios.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04648625

The Haswell refresh CPUs came out later than the original Haswell CPUs and required a bios update. But if the motherboard was made after Haswell refresh was released then it might already support it.

Tell me your current CPU and I'll tell you if it is a Haswell refresh or not.

Solution
May 23, 2018

Thanks for the quick response! My current cpu is the i3-4170