i7 6700 - disabling turbo boost for 1, 2 and 3 cores active.

May 23, 2018
So, I want to disable the turbo boosts for the 1,2 and 3 cores, but leave the one for 4-cores active.
So, for example, on this CPU the 1-core turbo boost is 4.0GHz, 3.9 on 2 cores, 3.8 on 3 cores and 3.7 on 4 cores, I only want my CPU to turbo up to 3.7GHz.
My mobo is a B250M-D2V from Gigabyte.
Any way to do this?

Nothing to be gained by attempting to individually decide which core you wish to turbo , as Windows will assign assorted tasks to various cores as it chooses...which may not match how it did so yesterday, or tomorrow...

Best to leave it all set to default, turbo standard enabled/default, even if you could change it on a B250 board...

May 23, 2018

Except I'm undervolting, and my CPU still goes up to 1.2V when on 3.8GHz, but works fine at 1.050V and 3.7GHz.
So no, it's not best to leave it all set to default.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
You can often set the turbo boost multiplyer settings in the bios, but youll need to check as its sometimes only available on the high end boards.

You may also be able to set it in Intel Xtreme Tuner.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

May 23, 2018

Can't change it in the BIOS or XTU, guess I'll have to live with it.
It's no big deal, temps are at around 55C while stress testing P95 non-AVX, but I would've liked lower temps when using 1-2 cores.

May 31, 2018
Try that:
Unclick Set multiplier.
Click FIVR.
On the left adjust core count boost speeds.
Tell if it worked.

Now i will explain what you did wrong. The Set multiplier option does not take account the turbo boost speed. It sets non turbo boost speed. If you have no turbo boost and set multiplier to 23 you ll run on 2.3GHz.

Clicking FIVR on the lower right will open a new window with a lot of voltage options on the right and on the left options to set boost speeds to different core counts. In your case simply lower the max turbo boost speed on 1, 2 and 3 cores to stock speeds (3,40GHz) and leave the one on 4 cores at 3,7GHz. When it turbo boosts now it wont got past 3.4 GHz so you effectively turned off turbo boost for 1,2,3 cores as the speed will not exceed base processor frequency. If 4 cores are used it will boost to 3.7. Try it out.

May 23, 2018
I tried using the FIVR menu and disabling the Set Multiplier option, same behavior.
I tried setting turbo to 4.0 for all cores, then 3.7 and then 3.4, it turbos up to 3.7 on CineBench and in games regardless of the setting.
I saved and turned ThrottleStop on.

May 31, 2018
Well then i guesse what you have left is to manually turn turbo boost off whenever you know you will be using 1 or 2 or 3 cores and manually turn it on while using 4. Bios, XTU or throttle stop are your options here.