580 OC Crashing Issue

Jordan32

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hey everyone,

So I bought the Asus 580 OC strix edition gpu last month and ever since installing it as soon as i start playing most games it crashes!

The screen goes a solid blue/red/yellow/black and it locks up with a buzzing noise coming through my headset. It happens in almost every game except warframe which im playing at the moment or cs go.

I have tries the following:
1. Wiping the computer fresh and reinstalling all new drivers for everything.

2. Running with my secuirty uninstalled.

3 . Checking Temps whilst playing the games to makesure they stay cool.

4. Cleaning the inside of my computer and making sure it was seated in the port properly.

5. Ran a memtest to make sure that was fine.

My pc specs are:

1tb hdd
120gb ssd
Windows 10
Asus Z170-AR motherboard
I7 6700k CPU
Gskill ddr4 2933mhz ram
X61 kraken cpu cooler
550w seasonic Gold psu

I can only think its a dodgy card or my PSU might not be enough? I did not think that would be the case as it was plenty before and I had a 380 which to my knowledge uses more power than my 580.

I also noticed when I start my computer it says 15% OC which I think is on my CPU ? wondering if this could have an affect and how I could disable this if anyone think so aswell as underclocking my GPU back to the speed of a normal non OC edition 580.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jordan

Solution
15% OC is a lot on that card. If you go into the AMD settings (right click on desktop), in the games section there is the global wattman. If you open that, you can drag a slider along to increase or decrease the GPU speed, then click apply.
15% OC is a lot on that card. If you go into the AMD settings (right click on desktop), in the games section there is the global wattman. If you open that, you can drag a slider along to increase or decrease the GPU speed, then click apply.

Solution

Jordan32

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your response, is the 15% on my GPU though ? I thought if it came up on my start up screen it was the CPU ? I could be wrong.

I know that my GPU is OC from the box though as that is the one I bought but maybe it has clocked it too high and causing these crashes.

I am in the wattman but unsure of what to change / whats a good number.

ScreenGrab of the WATTMAN

https://gyazo.com/e6aa92d568b5a1f55b1ef1860e7d2c3e

Thanks again.

It's been a few months since I last had an AMD card, but from what I remember it gives a % on the left side as you move the slider, so maybe -10% would be a good starting point.

Jordan32

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Okay,

I think you may have solved my annoyingly frustrating issue ! <3 haha

I did it too 10% and seems to be no crash so far...

shall I keep lowering it till it starts to crash again and leave it there ?

Thanks alot !

Now you can experiment a bit, see if -5% works etc.

Jordan32

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

oh okay,

I am still lowering it as we speak, im at 2.5% now with no crash.. weird that it was such a little % that made it crash.

Why does it crash at a certain oc ? is it psu ?

As I said, silicon lottery, not all processors are made equal and it's just luck if you get a good one. Sometimes it's as little as 1 or 2% that's the difference between being stable or not.