i7 7700 high temps with stock cooler?

vezityshock

Proper
May 3, 2018
Hello, it's me again. I recently bought an i7 7700k and used it with an Enermax Cooler, which is not the one I will be talking about. I am talking about my old processor, which is the i7 7700 (non k). I've experienced high temps with the intel stock cooler (sometimes spikes to 60-70 degrees on idle) and I don't know what to do with it. Should I buy another cooler? Or is this normal for a cpu. I've launched a couple games, like GTA 5 and Call of Duty WWII, and it spikes to 79-85 degrees. Should I be worried? I'll be giving this to my cousin. Thanks for answering.

SPECS (before)
i7 7700
Asus H110 Plus
Intel Stock Cooler/AVC H/p 617755-001
GTX 1060 3GB Phoenix Fan Edition
Adata Z1 2400 Mhz
3 Case fans (2 intake 1 exhaust)

Solution
It's a stock cooler. From a time when stock coolers are just good enough. Basically it's an 105w cooler on a 130w capable cpu. TDP is just the power output under a standardized set of apps and they are tasked as nominal usage. Actual power (Peak) maximums range from @1.5-2x TDP, so under extreme stress levels like seen with rendering or torture tests, a stock cooler can and will fail, resulting in thermal throttling and possible shutdowns.

Idle temps are iffy. They are dependent on case ambient temps. Case ambients are dependent on room temps and airflow. Generally you can expect 10-15°C above room temp at idle. Opening apps can raise spikes of @20-30°C above idle.
So, for those ppl in a non air-conditioned room in India, during the...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
It's not really normal to hit 70 at idle, maybe it's not mounted correctly or the heatsink paste needs re doing.
I'd expect it to climb into the 80's under a stress test or maybe even 90+ but at idle I'd expect it to be under 50 at least.

Stock coolers normally are just good enough but they do the job, a cheap air cooler would help if it worries you, some can be had around $20

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a stock cooler. From a time when stock coolers are just good enough. Basically it's an 105w cooler on a 130w capable cpu. TDP is just the power output under a standardized set of apps and they are tasked as nominal usage. Actual power (Peak) maximums range from @1.5-2x TDP, so under extreme stress levels like seen with rendering or torture tests, a stock cooler can and will fail, resulting in thermal throttling and possible shutdowns.

Idle temps are iffy. They are dependent on case ambient temps. Case ambients are dependent on room temps and airflow. Generally you can expect 10-15°C above room temp at idle. Opening apps can raise spikes of @20-30°C above idle.
So, for those ppl in a non air-conditioned room in India, during the summer where room temps can hit 40°C, then add 15°C for minimal airflow case, then add 30°C for opening a cpu intensive app, it's entirely possible to hit 85°C spikes. This is a temporary temp spike and will drop down to cpu load usage after, or raise if that's the case.

Honestly, I'd ask your cousin what his plans are for the pc, he might be upto going overboard on the cooling with a 240mm aio, never know, but at a minimum I'd use a Cryorig m9i, ($20) or even it's bigger brother the H7.

Solution