1060 Getting hot PLEASE HELP!

Tyler Paul_1

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hi ive had a windforce gtx 1060 for about a year and a half and recently it has been getting quite hot.

It never used to have this issue before.

It has been overclocked for most of its time with me however with the oc disabled AND a custom fan curve on in battlefield 1 it can reach 75c. aswell as this recently i have cleaned the gpu

My first idea what caused it is that i got a CPU liquid cooler recently and thought that where it is situated at the rear of my case it couldn't exhaust the hot air. However i tried different orientations and positions and no change happened.

My second idea was that the gpu thermal compound had dried up so i replaced that and still no change.

This is really puzzling me and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Ty;er

Solution
83C is Nvidia's typical default throttle point. Probably what people were referring to.

Pascal does like to stay cool and you can sometime get better average clock speeds by keeping the temperature low.Overclocking is all well and good until the GPU starts throttling, ideally you find a sweet spot where it doesn't reach that temperature under your typical gaming load. (Or you can change the throttle point and increase fan speeds and run the GPU hot).

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Youve been told very wrong. 75' is quite cool for a GPU. as you get into the 80s GPU boost wont boost as high to keep the temps down, but its perfectly safe even into the 90'c temps.

TLDR - Your temps are fine.

Mar 3, 2018
This is what i do if i will be in your situation:
1.download Msi afterburner and turn power to max to see the temp
2.(Do not do this if you don't know!!)Replace thermal place on the GPU. it might work the second one.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
83C is Nvidia's typical default throttle point. Probably what people were referring to.

Pascal does like to stay cool and you can sometime get better average clock speeds by keeping the temperature low.Overclocking is all well and good until the GPU starts throttling, ideally you find a sweet spot where it doesn't reach that temperature under your typical gaming load. (Or you can change the throttle point and increase fan speeds and run the GPU hot).

Solution