9800 GT No Video after Loging in to Windows

DarklingGolem50

Commendable
May 19, 2017
It works on the lockscreen, but when it takes me to the desktop, the video will turn black, the monitor tells me no signal and the fans will spin faster, I installed all of the drivers and tried it in Yosemite zone. but Yosemite Zone won't let me in the log in screen and it does the same thing with Windows on the desktop!! HELP!!

Asus P5G41C M LX
4 GB DDR3
Intel Core 2 Quad
I don't know the brand of the 9800 GT
550W PSU (Comes with the PC Case)
Samsung EX2020X Monitor

Solution
Look at the card itself and read the model on it. Going by the power plug on it, it is not likely a 9800 GT. Either way, you need a better power supply to make sure things are OK. It may still be a bad card, but without a good power supply with the correct power to run the card there is no way to know where the issue is.

A GX2 would not just have a single 8 pin power connector, it should have another one along with it. Post a picture of the card showing the power connections and also the model numbers if you are not sure what you are looking at. I don't see any 9800 GT models with an 8 pin power connectors.

DarklingGolem50

Commendable
May 19, 2017

The card was new, It's still in it's box, and the power supply only has 6 pins, I connected that to my Graphics card but it has 8 pins

OK, so your power supply does not have the correct power to run the card. Get one that has the 8 pin power plug for the card. Hopefully you did not damage it trying to run it without the correct power to it. What is the exact model of the card? A 9800 GT should have a single 6 pin or maybe a dual 6 pin according to nVidia site. 8 pin would be pretty rare if they made one, likely an OC model with higher speeds. You may have a 9800 GX2 not a GT.

This is a good one and pretty cheap https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151093 You won't find another modular PSU of that quality for that cheap. If you have a GX2, get the 620 watt version https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151095

Finding a 9800 GT new is a feat, it's about 10 years old now.

DarklingGolem50

Commendable
May 19, 2017

It's not a GX2, It's a GT

ZdX4vm2.png

Look at the card itself and read the model on it. Going by the power plug on it, it is not likely a 9800 GT. Either way, you need a better power supply to make sure things are OK. It may still be a bad card, but without a good power supply with the correct power to run the card there is no way to know where the issue is.

A GX2 would not just have a single 8 pin power connector, it should have another one along with it. Post a picture of the card showing the power connections and also the model numbers if you are not sure what you are looking at. I don't see any 9800 GT models with an 8 pin power connectors.

Solution