i5 4570 vs i7 8700

crazytlingit

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
Need to get some advice. My current build has a i5 4570 and I'm looking to see if it is worth it to upgrade the processor (and motherboard) to a i7 8700. What type of benefits would I see when gaming?

I'm also waiting around for the Nividia Gtx 1180 and will upgrade to that when in comes out. I'm just a gamer, no video editing.

Solution
You may know this, but you'll have to get a new motherboard, as well as some new memory (you're currently DDR3, 8700 would be DDR4). So if you can afford all that, go for it.

BUT as far as just raw gaming performance, you'll probably not likely see much from the CPU upgrade alone...there will be a bump (think the 5% to MAYBE 20% in some games), but most games are far more GPU bound than CPU bound.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
You may know this, but you'll have to get a new motherboard, as well as some new memory (you're currently DDR3, 8700 would be DDR4). So if you can afford all that, go for it.

BUT as far as just raw gaming performance, you'll probably not likely see much from the CPU upgrade alone...there will be a bump (think the 5% to MAYBE 20% in some games), but most games are far more GPU bound than CPU bound.

Solution

ikaz

Distinguished
If your not streaming/editing/etc and only gaming then you should stay with an I5 the 8th gen already have 6 cores so you good. As far as working upgrading the best way to tell is if your CPU is hitting 90-100% usage while your GPU is not then you know you have a CPU bottleneck. I would like you are doing wait until the next gen of cards come out and see what the benchmarks show to see if it worth upgrading.

Your under playing it a bit there!!

http://hwbench.com/cpus/intel-core-i7-8700-vs-intel-core-i5-4570
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4570/3940vs2770

The 5% increase is typically between generation. That would be an average of 20% on IPC alone as the 4570 is 4th gen and the 8700 8th gen. Never mind the mutlicore/threaded capabilities. Games more an more often are using those cores and threads. It's a massive upgrade.

To the OP, if you already have a decent GPU and are sure you getting a 1080ti or new gen, then getting the 8700 to complement it would be great. Also consider an 8600k if budget is a constraint. The 8600k is a monster chip too. Although it doesn't have HT like the 8700, but if it's just gaming your doing, it's the second best gamer out there.

The difference between two processors are huge.

What you would get with such a change is 2 more threads.
Since most games can effectively use only 2-3 threads, you are not likely to see a big boost.

If your games are multiplayer, then perhaps.
Most other games respond to faster threads.
Going from the 3.2 on your 4570 to 5.0 on an overclocked 8600K with 6 threads would be a massive cpu improvement.

It all depends on your games.

o help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run these two tests:

a) Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

b) Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 70%.
Go to control panel/power options/change plan settings/change advanced power settings/processor power management/maximum processor state/
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.
Conversely what a 30% improvement in core speed might do.

You should also experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

It is possible that both tests are positive, indicating that you have a well balanced system,
and both cpu and gpu need to be upgraded to get better gaming FPS.
-------------------------------------------------------------

crazytlingit

Honorable
Jul 27, 2016
Thanks everyone, from what I'm reading, this processor can still hold its own, but I'm getting close to it being necessary to upgrade, I'm going to stay pat for awhile, I'm already running a 1070 with the 4570 and I have no complaints at all.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

IPC doesn't necessarily equate directly to framerates in games...if you go from a 4770 to an 8700 with no other changes, you will NOT see a 20% framerate increase in Fortnite fps for example.

Since the OQ was about gaming specifically, that's why I answered the way I did. There are most certainly use cases where the 8700 would blow away a 4770 by 20% or more...but not in (most) games.