i5 4570 bottlenecking 1070Ti

May 24, 2018
I recently bought a gtx 1070Ti and sadly it bottlenecks my CPU in almost every single game that i play. It saddens me but i'm planning to upgrade my CPU in about a year so it's fine. What i wanna ask is if there's a way to lessen the bottleneck just so i can at least enjoy my gaming experience this year, thanks.

Solution

Bottleneck would be some i agree with the others depending on game. The way you're describing your disappointment does seem its something else though. Elaborate more of your problem, system specs if you would, including Windows version, storage, motherboard, memory and applications you're using while gaming. Even if it's trivial sounding to you, do mention it, ie; If use Geforce Experience to optimise games(don't)...
Yes it does bottleneck the 1070, especially in cpu heavy games. Actually there will always be a kind of bottleneck but in your case you need more powerful cpu. You cannot do much as it is a non K cpu, but you can lock the framerate to the number your i5 is capable of on average to avoid stuttering during fps drops

The easiest way is to stress the graphics card more. So, turn on antialiasing, turn on super sampling, crank all settings to the max. The more you stress the video card the less the CPU will be stressed.

Honestly, I'm shocked that an i5 4570 is bottlenecking a 1070Ti. That shouldn't be happening.

Can you show screenshot from MSI afterburner hardware monitoring window, when you experience bottle-necking?
Graphs should be visible: FPS, cpu usage/temp, gpu usage/temp, memory usage, ram usage, pagefile usage.
MSI afterburner hardware monitoring window looks similar to this:
Monitoring.png

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Yes the 4570 will bottleneck the 1070ti, but there are few things you can think about:

get a 4790k which is significatly faster. Same socket, just a CPU swap, signifactly more power with probably the cheapest upgrade option:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4570/2384vs2770
Ultimately a 7700k or a 8th gen CPU like a 8600k or 8700k is what you need.

Get a 1440p monitor (144Hz :)), this will reduce your bottleneck to the CPU.

Or like Justin said, increase the stress on your GPU by enabling higher graphics settings will reduce CPU bottleneck but overall will not solve your issue. You do need to get a faster CPU in the end.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Bottleneck would be some i agree with the others depending on game. The way you're describing your disappointment does seem its something else though. Elaborate more of your problem, system specs if you would, including Windows version, storage, motherboard, memory and applications you're using while gaming. Even if it's trivial sounding to you, do mention it, ie; If use Geforce Experience to optimise games(don't), kind of games you play that suffer, Windows and Nvidia CP power plan settings.

If Windows 10, disable Gamebar.
If have only 8GB system memory with a card like that would need 16GB to avoid massive pagefiles, anything written to storage will slow performance and modern games tend to do so more often with 8GB system ram and graphics cards with 4GB or more vram. Can check pagefile usage with MSI Afterburner SkyNetRising suggested.

Include in your list of specs which gpu you had previously and how you went about uninstalling/installing drivers for the 1070Ti. Coming from a different brand or model gpu is best to use DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Not always necessary with the same brand but a sure thing to try if having trouble. Install it first in normal Windows and run DDU in safemode.

Solution