FX-8350 issues with gtx 1070 ti

Jun 7, 2018
Hi All,

I have the next components:

AMD FX-8350
MSI 970A-G43
GTX 1070 Ti
8GB DDR3 800MHz

So a few days ago I change my old R9 270 2GB video card for the 1070 ti in order to play properly to Destiny 2 and all was perfect.
Bu then trying to play other games like Bf1 I get fps drops constantly; at first I thought that maybe was a game issue becase as I saw from Internet many players were having problems due to CPU usage after some bf1updates, so I decided to dont worry about it.
But the issue comes when I try to play The division, agame that with my old GPU I was able to play it at medium without a fps drop and now playing at the same quality I'm having fps drops in some points of the game.
Also I tried to use my old card again and the game runs perfectly and for example I'm able to play BF1 without a drop (in low quality).

Does anyone know what is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Regards!

*Graphics card CLEAN install tutorial using the DDU*

You need to run the DDU and choose the AMD option. Run it in safe mode. Afterwards, run it again for Nvidia and then do a fresh install of the latest Nvidia drivers.

You may also want to reinstall the latest AMD chipset, not graphics card, drivers, afterwards, as the DDU may remove those AMD chipset drivers. This is a common issue when switching from Red to Green camp, or visa versa.

bignastyid

Titan
Monitor your CPU frequency, that board is known to have VRM issue and it could be throttling the cpu under load. The new GPU is capable of producing more frames which means the CPU has to work harder to keep it fed, in some games the cpu is going to get maxed out trying to keep up. The extra CPU load works the VRMs harder and given the poor thermal and power deign of that board the VRMs could be overheating and throttling the CPU. The 8350 isn't even on the boards CPU support list.

Yes. I didn't even pay attention to the motherboard model. Good chance it wasn't throttling before because the CPU wasn't needing to work that hard, due to a lack of frames, now, with many frames rendered, could very well be the case. Good call.

Jun 7, 2018

So may I asume that I should change my motherboard (I did what you suggest me, and I'm still having some drops but less than before)

Philballer17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009

The AMD FX series is actually considered obsolete at this time. So, you're likely experiencing a very severe CPU bottleneck with the 1070 TI. This is the cause of your Frame rate drops.

That's a big assumption, which most probably you have no evidence to back up. While it MAY be true, assuming it to be true is a big mistake. I have a secondary gaming machine with an FX-8350 on a Sabertooth board and I had no trouble at all pushing the necessary frames out with my R9 290x or my buddies GTX 980 TI. While I realize that a newer, more capable CPU would improve things further, it would not be getting WORSE performance or equal performance than a much older, weaker GPU card, simply due to the CPU, unless something was causing it do so.

You're better off buying a B350 board with a Ryzen 3, rather than trying to uprade your AM3+ motherboard... Check the deals on the homepage here... MSI Tomahawk B350 for $50 and R3 1200 for $100. If you can go for an R3 1400 it's even better. Note that you'll have to get DDR4 as well... It will be more expensive to get this than to upgrade your motherboard. But you can simply upgrade your CPU in the future again when it becomes a problem. Buying a new motherboard for AM3+ is a waste of money at this point. You can try and sell your current system to offset the cost a bit.

Again, that depends. Buying new, yes, you'd be right. But there are STILL some good used boards out there if you find the right deal. Many of them do not have a lot of miles on them since they were still being manufactured AND even some new models being put out, almost right up to the launch of Ryzen.

If you can find any of the boards listed as suitable for an FX 8 chip on the 990FX, 990 or 970 chipset pages on Meteorsraining's list at the following link, used but in serviceable condition, THEN it might be worth it if the price is right.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2383150/motherboard-tier-list.html

Otherwise, I'd agree that even a lower tiered Ryzen or Intel upgrade would make a lot more sense, although you ARE going to take an initial hit particularly due to the cost of memory going to DDR4 because prices on those have come down, but not significantly enough to make it a no brainer.

Jun 7, 2018

Thank you very much all for the feedback.
May I asume that depending on wich motherboard I buy, I will need to change also my RAM right?

Jun 7, 2018

But I have the next behaviour:

For example I can play without a drop games like Overwatch or Destiny2.
And as I said in my first message, games like Battlefield1 and The Division I get temporary fps drops.

Is this related to the issue that you are talking about?

Reagrds.

Battlefield 1 and The Division use many CPU cores. Overwatch and Destiny 2 are more single-thread heavy, meaning the other cores don't do that much work. Overwatch generally uses a maximum of 50% of the CPU, while Battlefield 1 easily reaches 70%+ usage. The CPU uses less power in Overwatch, and it is then less likely to throttle.

An option for you to test this is to disable a module on your CPU, basically turning your processor into an FX-6350. I'm not sure if your motherboard supports that though. But if it can, it's available in the BIOS, and if after doing this you don't have the issue anymore (or to a much lesser extent), we're sure that it's throttling. If it satisfies you enough, you can leave it like that also. It saves you a new motherboard or a new system.

Honestly, I've never found that to be helpful, although I know people do it. Whether a game is, or is not, heavily reliant on multiple cores is almost irrelevant because the rest of the processes and applications that you have running on your system, in the background, are. While you might not notice it that much IN game, specifically, on a clean test lab system that doesn't have much else installed, you will definitely and practically almost always notice a difference in performance in both gaming and general use if the rest of the system has to wait or the game has to wait, while resources are being used elsewhere.

Not sure, because I haven't looked into it much, but I think the newer windows 10 gaming mode (IS that right) can help to mitigate some of this by focusing resources more stringently on the game while it's running rather than treating everything equally. Of course, if you don't multitask, it helps, but there are still other system processes that will use any available cores not being used by the game engine. Otherwise, they end up having to share, and if the game is already core and thread hungry, you can end up starving something somewhere.