100% packetloss slow connection problems.

Jun 7, 2018
Recently started getting massive lag spikes while playing Overwatch. It all began when my Wifi connection during one game hit the crapper and I had to restart the modem and router many times as well as restart my computer to finally make it work again. Windows troubleshooter was showing that the DNS server was not responding and could not be reached whenever I was doing a diagnostic. I had just also changed the DNS server to the Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 before this happened. I did manage to get my connection back, but it has been worse ever since. During this time, I made an adjustment to my firewall to put it back to default settings(idk if this would cause problems).

Now whenever I get into a match and start playing, my connection will immediately start freezing up and my latency would shoot through the roof. I have done many tests using pingplotter and traceroute but I don't know how to understand the data I am seeing very well. All of these tests were ran while I was playing overwatch and these are the results. I also have a ctrl shift N image from overwatch.

https://imgur.com/a/JBuMslY

I also connected directly to the modem with a laptop that I also have, but only did a speed test with it but it still shows a really good upload and download speed, so i dont think it would be a problem with the isp?

Hopefully you can help me to understand what might be the problem.

Solution
Hop 1 is your router (192.168.1.1)

Hop 2 is most likely modem/router (10.76.0.1) which is also in the address range for private network use. (Make and model?)

Your router is probably connected to that modem either wired or wirelessly.

The modem and router may not be playing well together. Hopefully just a configuration issue.

Which one is providing DCHP IP addresses? Only one should be doing so.
Jun 7, 2018

Its a N600 Wireless Dual Band Router Netgear Router. Model number is WNDR3400v2

I do notice that pingplotter shows the first hop to have a full red horizontal bar when i let it run while pinging overwatch IP address when the game is not running. Would that show it to be my router thats the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Hop 1 is your router (192.168.1.1)

Hop 2 is most likely modem/router (10.76.0.1) which is also in the address range for private network use. (Make and model?)

Your router is probably connected to that modem either wired or wirelessly.

The modem and router may not be playing well together. Hopefully just a configuration issue.

Which one is providing DCHP IP addresses? Only one should be doing so.

Solution