1050 GPU upgrade

Jun 10, 2018
I have a i7 7700, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, GT 730, Dell inspiron 3668 case, 240W PSU, and I would like to know if A 1050 2GB model will work in this system to play fortnite better. Thank you

Maybe change the PSU if you can, but otherwise there are no compatibility issues. The power supply is probably not a good unit, and the extra load of the GTX 1050(in comparison to a GT 730) might fry the PSU and damage other components as well. A cheap CX450 will do the job perfectly fine.

Edit: actually, your PC doesn't support standard power supplies, so don't bother with the PSU. All you can do is hope the GTX 1050 wouldn't blow out your PSU.

Jun 10, 2018

It is a Dell Inspiron 3668 PSU, is that good quality? I mean the GT 730 is 300W Recommended and the GTX 1050 is the same? I don't know

PuperHacker

Honorable
First upgrade your PSU, it is a miracle that it even works now. Then, add any gtx1050ti level and up GPU you would like, as the rest of your system supports everything. I'd suggest the gtx1070 or even gtx1060 if either fits your budget.

It wouldn't. Your case does not support standard ATX power supplies. While the recommended power supply is same for both cards, but the GTX 1050 is a higher end model. Now, the GTX 1050 draws power from the motherboard slot, so it consumes a max power of 75 W only. So yes, technically a 240 W PSU might run it, but it's a really big risk. Plus, no prebuilt PC comes with a good PSU, so you can fully expect your PSU to go boom when a more powerful GPU draws power from it.

So again, it might work, but it's risky, and I would not recommend doing it.

It's not about the total power consumption - it is about the quality of the PSU. There can be some voltage spikes in your house power occasionally, and a bad PSU will not have good enough internals to handle these spikes. There are a lot more reasons for which a cheap PSU can go bad, and when you have such a PSU it is a really bad idea to buy a more powerful GPU. If you want a proper gaming system, you'd either have to build one yourself or just use some really temporary solutions for your PSU, like keeping the PSU out of the case and using it from there. That way you could get a decent unit, and just let the PSU stay outside the case.

And no, you can't overclock a PSU, because a PSU doesn't have a 'clock' unlike a CPU or GPU(or monitor).

Jun 10, 2018
If I have a prebuilt 400W psu in a 2012 HP computer. Can I connect it to the Inspiron for a stronger power supply? If it doesn’t fit should I use it as an external power supply? And also how hot can a psu get?

Frankly, the whole 'new PSU' idea is a mess. Even if you somehow jerry rig everything, there is no guarantee that your motherboard uses standard power connectors. These PC's are made by Dell for office use mostly, and they've customized these PC's to the point where if you want to change even one little thing you'll literally have to change half the PC with it.

Take for example, the PSU upgrade you're looking for. For this, you'll firstly need a new case for the PSU to fit. Then, the Dell motherboards are not standard sized, so you'll need a new motherboard because the Dell one won't install in your new case. Chances are that the CPU cooler is also custom, so you'll need a new CPU cooler to go with your new motherboard. And then you can buy a new PSU and install it.

As I've been hinting for this whole thread, just drop the idea of a GPU upgrade IMO. either that, or just risk it a little bit and use the GTX 1050 with your current PSU, which I do NOT recommend doing unless you're fine with the whole PC going bad in the near future/immediately.

You can't change your PSU because most probably the power supply connectors for your PC are different from standard connectors, so a market-bought power supply's connectors wouldn't fit into their respective places.

It is not necessary that all the parts will be killed as well, but it may happen. I've had a PSU go bad on me, killing the motherboard, hard drive and even the CPU cooler, but fortunately the CPU wasn't affected, and I didn't have a dedicated GPU installed then.

Jun 10, 2018
Oh :( Well like a EVGA 400W External PSU Plugs and cords won't fit into the Hard Drive, or CPU. I mean GTX 1050 doesn't require 6 Pin external power connecter. It just needs the express rail. If I take dig some research into this I will find out if a standard PSU plugs will work :) Thank You

Okay, I did some research and would like to know if a Standard APX EVGA 400W PSU plugs will fit into these. I took SS but don't know how to upload so I'm going to try to use this

5. Note the power-supply unit cable routing and remove the power-supply unitcable from the routing guides on the chassis. 6Remove the three screws (#6-32xL6.35) that secure the power-supply unit tothe chassis.
7Press the clamp and slide the power-supply unit towards the front of the chassisto release it from the chassis

Can't see the image, if you uploaded any. Do one thing, open up your case, remove the motherboard power cable(it'll most likely be a very big and thick cable, the thickest of all cables inside the PC), and click a photo of the connector into which this cable was plugged into. See if it looks like the second photo on this page:

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-power-supplies/3/

There might be 24 or 20 holes, depends on the motherboard, but if there's neither 20 nor 24 holes, then unfortunately your motherboard won't support any standard power supply.

Edit: to upload an image you'll have to upload it to a media sharing site like tinypic.com, then mention the url that you are given in your reply.

Jun 10, 2018
Ok, it doesn't seem like it has 24, or 20 holes. It is like separated into pieces and add up to 10 :(

2uo0x8m.png

Jun 10, 2018
I have been searching for a while and I think I found a PSU that might fit into the system. Do you think this will work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/435W-TFX0250D5W-Power-Supply-for-Bestec-Dell-Inspiron-530s-531s-Slimline-TC435/230603662910?hash=item35b10ca63e:g:T5EAAOxyyiBR7fXf&rmvSB=true

Edit: I realized this has a 20+4 Motherboard connector. :( I need to know which connector I need. :I Well Is there a converter that will convert the motherboard connector into the one that will fit into my system? Thanks