Can i get the gt 1030 to work on my small form factor rig?

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018
Hey guys, I just signed up.

Ok so, how can i get the 1030 to work on an hp pro 3010 mt ( the motherboards Ipiel La3)?

Ive upgraded the ram to 4 gigs but the processors still a quad core Q9400 clocked at 2.66 ghz. If i get it to work, will it be bottlenecked by my current config?

If i can't get it to work what are some alternatives at the same price point? (I wouldn't mind sacrificing quality for performance, provided its running on atleast 720p)
And btw which version of the card should i get cuz it's just so confusing to decide when you've got dozens of companies manufacturing the same card.
Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks!

Solution
Generally, as long as your motherboard has a PCIe slot (which it does), it will work fine. And since the motherboard is going to be likely from an OEM, it may have a locked or fixed BIOS that may not let you change its hardware.

Your CPU is fairly balanced with your graphics card, so you will definitely not bottleneck the card. If you run newer games, then expect lag spikes here and there, since 4GB is going to be an issue, since the game will start to use the pagefile memory, which is horrendously slow.

And as for which brand to get for the card, I recommend Asus, as they generally make good quality products across their range.

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Generally, as long as your motherboard has a PCIe slot (which it does), it will work fine. And since the motherboard is going to be likely from an OEM, it may have a locked or fixed BIOS that may not let you change its hardware.

Your CPU is fairly balanced with your graphics card, so you will definitely not bottleneck the card. If you run newer games, then expect lag spikes here and there, since 4GB is going to be an issue, since the game will start to use the pagefile memory, which is horrendously slow.

And as for which brand to get for the card, I recommend Asus, as they generally make good quality products across their range.

Solution

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018

Thanks for the quick reply! Will this do the trick? n how would it perform in games like fortnite? n also, how much ram do i actually need?

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018

But what did you actually mean when you said that the bios is locked? Should i get a new pc altogether? or is there a way of getting around it?

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Sorry for the late answer, but when it's a locked bios, it means that you are restricted from changing the hardware. Attempting to do so, will result in your PC refusing to boot. OEMs aren't exactly doing it as much as they did back then, so you should be fine.

pighamlet

Honorable
Jun 13, 2018

Well, this pc was released in 2010 (presumably). So will it be locked? And since I've already upgraded my ram to 4 gigs (ram is also a part of the hardware, right?) does that mean it'll work?