RX 480 8GB SAPPHIRE performance issues

mflorides

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
I'm pretty bad at understanding issues concerning my Card. The performance seems very underwhelming compared to all the videos I've seen from people online. The temp stays at a normal state, frames tend to be lacking at higher demanding games..

Specs:

13-4170 Intel core
RX 480 8 GB sapphire
Windows 10
18.12 Radeon drivers

I've recently been told it might be something with my card having its memory being filled somehow, i don't know how i can fix it. My card has been 'under performing' for quite a while now, unless there's something me and my friends have looked over, or simply haven't found the issue.

Your cpu could be limiting the rx480 performance. Use msi afterburner, after starting a graphic intense game. take note of the cpu usage and gpu usage during game session, you should see that your i3 is at high usage while rx480 at low usage. This means that cpu is doing all it can but still unable to feed enough work for the rx480 to process. Once this is confirmed, you can decide where or not you would upgrade your cpu to a i5 4460 /i7 4770 or upgrade the whole platform to coffeelake / ryzen . Try the msi afterburner first.

StupidComputers

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2014

4790k is the only sensible upgrade on with that socket.. maybe 4590(k) if budget is very tight.