Can i use R9 390 for surfing websites/idle with 500w? NO GAMING!

lilj123king

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I was hoping can i use my 500w power supply until next months (July) on the 3rd when i get paid.

Specs
CPU: AMD FX 8370E (i wont be able to upgrade my gpu for a while)

Ram: 8gb clock 667 mhz

Gpu: AMD 7870 OC

Power supply: EVGA 100-W1-0500-RX-500W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply Intel 4th gen CPU Ready

Solution
7870 or 390? There is a pretty big difference in power draw there.

You are correct in that if you don't game, the 390 isn't going to ask for the 300W it normally wants. I think systems with the 390 tend to idle/web around 125W. Where you might get into trouble is the "turn on". Pressing the power button, I think both the CPU and GPU will for awhile pull it's max power. This means 125W for your CPU, and 300W for the GPU. With a normal typical rest of the system, you'll be at 450-475W easy. I don't see your EVGA PSU handling that well.

4745454b

Titan
7870 or 390? There is a pretty big difference in power draw there.

You are correct in that if you don't game, the 390 isn't going to ask for the 300W it normally wants. I think systems with the 390 tend to idle/web around 125W. Where you might get into trouble is the "turn on". Pressing the power button, I think both the CPU and GPU will for awhile pull it's max power. This means 125W for your CPU, and 300W for the GPU. With a normal typical rest of the system, you'll be at 450-475W easy. I don't see your EVGA PSU handling that well.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Won't be an issue. Cpus, gpus, fans, drives, basically anything that uses power in a pc only uses the power it needs to, not like a light bulb that uses max power because it has too. Recommended psu size for gpus in a pc is only made for the express maximum usage of the pc. That gpu isn't going to use 300+ watts because it's a R9 390, it'll use 30w if that's all that's needed to get a website up. The only reason it'd use 300+w is if used under heavy gaming usage, and since that's off the table, the psu will be fine.

As mentioned, cold boots might be an issue due to power usage, but the easy fix for that is just leave the pc on if there's a doubt, let it sleep. This skips POST process entirely.