Rx 580 vs gtx 1060 6gb windforce

May 23, 2018
I was looking for an upgrade for my gpu (from a 750ti) to either a rx 580 or gtx 1060, I wanted to know which is better to get and pair with an i5 4460, I know that 1060 is 6gb vram and the 580 is 8gb vram, so in general, with all the included variables, which card is a better upgrade??

A huge thanks in advance for everyone.

Solution
They are so close it really doesn't matter which one you choose right now. In a couple years the 8GB may prove to give the RX 580 8GB a better edge over the 1060 6GB, but that's just speculation.
Fairly equal, trade blows depending on game.

Rx 580 requires more power ,it's a 200w card as opposed to the 1060 which runs 160-170w.

Personal level id take the 580 as long as your psu is up to par ?? , really though past that it's personal choice.If anything a 4460 will hold either card back anyway slightly imo.

May 23, 2018
I’ve decided to go for the 1060 after realising that the rx needs a higher amount of power, and I can’t really afford to get a better psu, also will there be a huge set back (as in the cpu won’t be able to keep up at all) for the gpu when paired with the cpu? Or is it a slight 5-15 FPS difference.

It depends on the game. Take Battlefield 1 for instance. You will get 100% performance maybe 90% of the time. The 10% time you get less performance would be a varying drop in performance, ~10-20fps drop. This is just a round-a-bout example. It may be more than 10% of the time you see drops in performance, maybe not. Maybe larger drops, maybe not.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Judging by the ASRock RX 580 Phantom Gaming X review recently, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-phantom-gaming-x-radeon-rx580-8g-oc,5601-3.html, the RX580 beats the 1060 6GB in most games.

The differences tend to be small, though.

Assuming no price difference, the advantage of the 1060 6GB is lower power consumption, but the RX580 uses FreeSync, and for adaptive sync technology, FreeSync monitors are significantly less expensive than GSync monitors.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

A faster GPU added to a system can NEVER cause the system to perform any LESS than it did with the slower GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

True in theory, but not always in practice.

If you have a GPU running at 100% the CPU will have idle time and remain cool. Getting a shiny new fast GPU that puts 100% load on the CPU can cause it to overheat and throttle. That is usually just a matter of increasing the graphics settings until the GPU once again is the limiting factor, or running V-sync to prevent excess frames from being drawn.

There is a balance in all things.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm, true - but wouldn't it still be faster?

It would have to be a VERY narrow band of possibility for being under the old system, with the CPU running fast but just under its throttling level, to the new GPU allowing the CPU to run faster still, then throttle to slower than it did under the previous GPU.

I would think that just about all the time, if forced to throttle, the CPU is still going faster than it had to when limited by the lesser GPU.

Plus, it would also suggest to me a problem with the cooling solution, whether undersized, clogged with dust, or whatever.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
On average, yes. The CPU would have more utilization and put out more frames.

All depends on the throttle amount, and playability would suffer greatly. Nothing worse than getting 75FPS one second and 25FPS the next and having it bounce between those constantly.

It was a pretty common problem with people upgrading OEM computers that came with GT420 and cards like that and dropping in a GTX750Ti. Really highlight the issues that some PCs had. Dust, keeping computers inside of old style computer desks, pet hair, carpet all that stuff. Usual solution was a new CPU cooler, or simply a paste re-apply, and cleaning I will grant you.