RX 580 Drops in FPS ?

Mathias_10

Commendable
May 7, 2016
Hello

I just bought a brand new RX 580 8GB OC edition from Sapphire (pulse) and would like to unlock its full potential.. i use TriXX Software And can raise power target 30% and voltage 200mv+ is this the normal limits for this card?

i see people can raise the power target by 50% percent in MSI Afterburner? but only +96mv voltage for some??

That makes me wonder if 200mv is too much for my card?? can that be dangerous in any way?? im saying no to my self as this software comes with the card and sapphire allowed it for some reason??

But i tried using +200mv in trixx and saw that at the same clocks my fps would get lower in 3dmark firestrike even at stock clockspeeds?? i have +30 power target on while testing..

is that what is making a restriction in power consumption or something?

its the first time ive ever messed around with a amd card..

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you are going about your OC approach the wrong way.

Have a look at something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP7B4XqlhCs

Get an idea of what you are doing and what the various changes you are making will affect your GPU. Having an understanding rather than just dialing in settings will benefit you and your hardware more! :)

Take it slow, google your GPU and OC'ing guide and read. Then when you feel comfortable with settings, and playing around with MSI Afterburner or whatever software you are using, then start low, test, build it up in small increments until you artefact or crash, watching temps as you go. OC the Core first, then the mem and test test test. If you don't test for stability along the way, expect random crashes, and artefacts on screen while gaming.

edit: I realise they are different cards (the one in the video), the point is, the process and the outcome! i.e a stable OC on your GPU. Hope you get me.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Different cards have different limits for overclocking. It's unlikely you hurt anything by setting +200 mV, typically you can't push a card to the point of damaging it without BIOS or hardware modding. The reason your FPS got lower is because by maxing out voltage your card is drawing way more power and generating way more heat, which means it's probably hitting a power or thermal limit and throttling under load. You want voltage to be as low as possible while still being stable for a given clock speed.