R7 1700 OC temps are strange

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am having a time wrapping my head around this.

Stock clock, my proc is sitting around 34C after a few minutes, scans done, etc. It will just randomly bump up into the 40's

3.8 OC with a bump to 1.325V and the temps level down to 32-33C and sits darned near solid without my activity.

Stranger still. While on the stock curves the dynamic range runs from ~1.5 (ish) up to 3.10. When I OC the dynamic range broadens out to ~1.4 all the way to 4.2.

I cannot understand how it's actually running cooler AND less frequency (as well as more, obviously) after the OC. Nothing else is changed, I haven't messed with fan profiles. My CPU fan doesn't "cool" more if I turn it up, only increases temps if I turn it down, so I left it alone. Case fans are 3 pin running full all the time.

?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am using core temp. As so much as that, I am SAYING what it's doing on idle stock and OC. What is it going to show you that I didn't say (not smartass, just wondering)?

The "high" clocks (listed) are from running CPU-Z bench/stress tests. Funny enough that the benchmark engine for UserBenchmarks doesn't come even CLOSE to taxing it the same, but certainly spits out different numbers. None of my high temps are (any longer) of concern. I can stress on the 3.8 setting all day long and it hovers in the 70's, but once I go 3.9, same voltage the temps just climb. I shut it off at 84C.

You've given 3 parameters from many that HWMon/Info supplies. Like i said we can see whats going on in more detail than what you have explained thus far.

In addition, you should use something like Prime 95 small FFT's for stress testing. CPUZ although has a stress option, it does not stress you CPU to get stability and max temps. CPUZ will push about the same temps as a heavy gaming load. Run your 3.8 OC and run Prime95, see what your temps are. I'd expect them to hit 80+ if you've only been testing with CPUZ.

On your weird temp reporting issue. Have you updated your bios, and mobo drivers to the latest?

Lastly, list your PC specs. It helps! We can research your hardware combo and find relevant information.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ Giggle, never used most of that, so I will look into some of it later.

I have been trying to find a "happy spot" between performance and cooling, and just find it darned strange that the system is running cooler OC than stock clock. I keep having issue overloading my AC when I am gaming, so I have been playing with the curves in Afterburner and my clock speeds to try and find a sweet spot. Mostly, it's Ashes of the Singularity...that game is a great test of a system.

As far as build:
R7 1700
2x8 DDR4 2400
ASRock fatality AB350 gaming ITX AC
GTX 1080
600W PSU

running 1080p/60
I know the card is overkill, but the price was too good to ignore over what I wanted.

Nice system. Yes, Ashes is actually a knee breaking game for some systems.

Just on your OC'ing attempts. Are you OC'ing in the bios or through Ryzen Master? It seems to me that when you are applying the OC some of the metrics may not be holding. There is no chance the temps would be lower if you've increased vcore and clockspeed, unless you had an aggressive fan curve. It must be a glitch in the bios (hence CMOS reset) or monitoring software.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am updates to the "3rd" bios (4.5) as it stated within the notes to do it first, and with no stability issues to not use the last unless you were upgrading to 2xxx.

I am using the BIOS to OC. I actually found Ryzen Master to be strangely "rangy" with some of the voltages, settings, and temps...even more so than what I see now.
I actually watched my voltages, and on stock clock with auto settings 1.324 was the largest voltage I saw so I used it as a "baseline" for an (somewhat) aggressive clock. Since updating to 4.5 (bios) it OC WAY (WAY) better. I have tried various setting and voltages, but around the 1.325-1.350 ranges seem to give me best stability and cooling at 3.8, with the latter being "stable" but gets hotter than I like @3.9

It's rather funny in that Ashes was the game that kind of "blew my mind" as far as the system and started making me search and question some things. When I first got it and was learning it I could use Crazy settings and run fine...of course as there were more enemies to fight and larger maps it started crashing various settings which led me to the current discovery. I actually have no issues from the CPU side almost regardless of OC but the GPU crashes unless I modify Extreme and turn off multi sampling with DX12.

Yeah, on stock on auto (i've a 1600x) i saw massive increase, specially when it boosted to 4ghz, then the voltage was in the 1.4 and above realms. Of course this is just for a split second/moment, but still it was alarming.

Yes, Ryzen master has a way of overprinting, specially with anything other than vcore changed. Auto is brings the vcore way up.

When i began OC'ing this Ryzen i started with my VID from Coretemp (which is 1.375). I 'guestimated' that to start off i'd drop the vcore to 1.3, and start there with testing (prime 95 - small ffts). Amazingly enough I got to 3.9ghz (testing in 100mhz increments - with 1hr of prime stressing) all the way. Then once I hit a fail on Prime, i dialled it back by 100mhz, and tested with Prime overnight. That's my stable OC. Temps hit about 77c max at 3.9. To hit 4ghz on my Asus mobo, I had to go from 1.3 vcore to 1.35! Insane for the extra 100mhz. So for now, 3.9 is my steady OC. 24/7.

Is the GPU crashing. Are you OC'ing it too? at 1080p/60 you really don't need to OC if you are. It will eat everything at that res and then some. Get your CPU stable with min voltage, min temps, OC your ram, and with the GTX1080 you will eat anything at that res for years to come.

BTW, 3.8 is a good OC for that 1700. Get it stable and you will have a beast of a CPU going on.

You didn't mention your cooler. If it's stock, then get a 3rd party one, you can push the 1700 further with the right cooling. You could get 4ghz with the right one.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
No OC on the GPU, just no reason to need it.

I had actually posted in another thread about the issues I was having with GPU fan curve. If I leave the Afterburner fan curve "on" my case and room temps jump a little. If I turn it off, I do fine just surfing/office, but then in gaming when it breaks that 70C barrier the fans kick up and flood my room and thermostat hall with hot air. Temps at the thermostat in the house have gone up 4*F in moments just due to that...then the whole rest of the house is freezing while the office and hall are hot.
A suggestion made in that thread was to move my thermostat and think about a window unit.

As to the cooling...there is another issue. I am currently on and perhaps limited by the stock cooler as far as total OC to temps….however...

My case is a Phanteks p40(400?) and has, well in a word poor cooling in one sense. I can add more fans, but am concerned about noise level. I have been playing with the idea of adding some Noctua fans to the front plane and behind the proc. What I run into now is that the front fan isn't really bringing in cool air, it just circulates it...and the back fan...when my proc runs the cooler fan up really high it actually draws air in through the back fan. I have confirmed with smoke.