100% Disk Usage on Startup, Tried Everything

a0c

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Every time I start up my PC and open Task Manager, I am at 100% disk usage. This includes when no programs are open and the PC is idle. I've tried disabling Windows Search, SuperFetch, all the usually suggested services. I've also tried looking for specific processes that are using the disk, but they vary greatly across different instances. "System" and "Antimalware Service Executable" seem to be frequently on top of the list. My system then takes forever to load programs and even for me to do basic tasks like open folders/empty Recycle Bin. Any thoughts? Thanks.

This is a Clevo P650RG:

15.6" 1920X1080 IPS LED Anti-Glare G-Sync
6th Gen Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ
nVidia GTX980M 8GB GDDR5
16GB DDR4 2133MHz PC17000
256GB M.2 SSD SATA III
1TB 7200rpm 2.5" SATA III
Optical Drive: None
Intel Wireless-AC 8260 + Bluetooth 4.1

Solution

Shouldnt be 15 minutes of 100% disk usage once booted into Windows. maybe 5-10 minutes tops. My specs are worse than yours by far and my 100% disk...

D JAY Cva

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
this could be due to malware , bad SSD or your OS is corrupted... best option is to rebuild the system (wont help if the issue is due to SSD) ...

boot in safe mode and backup your files before reformat ..

is it a new system? which OS?

Are windows updates running in the background if this is a new build?

Can you show screenshot from Resource Monitor - Disk Activity section?
(order by column total, so processes with most activity are on top).
Should look similar to this:
cEOrI.jpg

Is this high disk usage noticed strictly at startup? (Often systems can be busy the first minute or two after getting to desktop, launching all the add on applications/services scheduled for startup. Certainly, if it were going to run a malware scan at each startup, for example, disk usage would be high accessing multiple thousands of files, etc, which takes many minutes)

a0c

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

Yes, for about ~15 minutes after startup. The system is basically unusable. Your explanation seems very likely; is there a way I can mitigate the effects of startup malware scans/disable unnecessary add-ons?

Shouldnt be 15 minutes of 100% disk usage once booted into Windows. maybe 5-10 minutes tops. My specs are worse than yours by far and my 100% disk usage once booted into Windows only lasts about 5 minutes but I also kills task as they open with task manager.

But yes there are some steps you can take to disable some startup apps/programs.

All you have to do is go to Task Manager, go to Startup tab and disable the ones you dont want starting at boot.

Solution