7700(Not K) reaching 97C? Is it safe?

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I have i7-7700(Not K) reaching 97c while playing Fallout 4, Skyrim or CEMU. Idle temps 43 to 50c. One core is a lot hotter than the others with the hottest core being 97 at load while the others peaked at 90, it idles at 48-50 while the others are 43-45. I have stock cooler but read usually it should be fine for non-overclocking capable systems with locked CPUs. Voltage max was a 1.208, I read sometimes this kind of high temps can happen if system sets voltage really high like 1.3 for some reason.

I've got RealTemp, & Prime95 but scared to run the test in case it could cause damage to my system? I suspect bad sensors since the motherboard temp sensor is for sure bad as it always says the idle is 115-120c(with peak not really being any higher, it always ranges between 115-120c) which if true I am pretty sure the PC would not work.

It will downclock once it hits 100C.

If the MB is in question replace it ASAP.

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Can't afford to easily purchase another. I used this system since August and everything seemed fine, I tried checking the temperature today by having HWMonitor open while playing these games. Reported peak was between all of them.

The downclock can save it from damage? Real temp can test the sensors by getting me to run prime95. I suspect the sensors may be inaccurate as I've been getting pretty good performance on every game I've played. In the case of extreme heat I would expect worse performance?

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
From testing on Fallout 4 it does briefly spike to very high temperature but after I played for 5 minutes and checked again it went into the 60s. Can any software graph the temps?

I see. Any recommendations for cooler? I've read up in the past but that was for the 7700k not the locked one, I'd decided I wouldn't need overclocking. Hopefully a somewhat cheaper one might suffice. I do have a few extra case fans from having an old case before this one.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
You can run SpeedFan to monitor temperatures and log them as you play games.

Has it always been this way?

As far as coolers go, I like Noctua NH-D15. Just look for something that is not too noisy.
Make sure that all case fans are working in the same direction. In from the front and out from the back.

If you are going to try a different cooler, make sure you clean off any residue thermal paste with a tissue. then apply one drop of thermal paste in the centre of the cpu before mounting the new cooler.

You need some paste, but more is not better.

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I think I might shy away from Prime 95, I don't want to risk my PC. I have v29.4 Build 8 installed. Ambient temperature is about 25c.

I think I might try Intel Burn Test though I am a little hesitant.

Caution: Not for beginning overclockers. This program WILL stress the CPU, Memory, North Bridge, and other system components to their highest extent! Make sure your PC is properly cooled and ventilated!

Would it be safe if I am not running any overclock?

Indeed. From what I read Intel stock cooler should usually be okay for CPUs that are never gonna get OC'd.

Thermal paste used & IIRC I bought a different paste because of hearing the default one isn't good. How do i tell if it is not seated properly? Most results on Google say not seated properly= door will not close. It's been 11 months but there is still not very much dust.

It's weird because I get perfectly good performance in game so I don't think throttling is happening? I have the XMP profile on(For RAM speed above 2400mhz), would it help to disable it? I figured it should do nothing to as far as my CPU goes as it's not the K version.

Was playing FO4 at 4K almost maxed(I turn off AA & god rays, turned down shadow/shadow distance), staying pretty steady at 60fps with like 300 mods installed. Would I be correct to assume that throttling should kick in before any potential harm to the PC, and that in such case performance should be observably impacted.

Will give it a go though tried some already using MSI afterburner. It appears to spike up to 95-100c only very briefly, with the temp being in the 80s other than that or 88-90c with sustained use like when I did 5 minute stress test using AIDA 64 trial. Unfortunately requires purchase to get any actual useful info outside of just temp. Frequency stayed at 3.6Ghz and didn't drop off.

I just had SpeedFan open now and I think it might be indicating the sensors are screwed up as I'm just sitting here on internet doing nothing else right now.

JVovwxG.png

Chart tab is showing temps in the high 30's while msi afterburner & HWMonitor typicallly say 44-50c idle.

Yes although when I checked about 6 months ago temps were a little lower though it was winter. I think it was maxing out at 85-90c ingame, about 40c idle.

That's pretty expensive but I do remember checking it out when I'd still planned for i7-7700K with overclock. It was one of the options I was debating on. Ended up getting reg i7-7700 since benchmarks show good results for FO4 & Witcher 3 even on locked 7700 or locked kaby lake i5. I might look into hyper 212 EVO or perhaps save up and get the NH-D15 since it should be useful even if I buy an OC capable CPU like a future 9700k/10700k that'll likely surpass this one's speed while also having more cores. Part of reason I chose 7700 locked is because by the time it's inadequate I expect higher core counts will become a requirement. Though when next gen consoles release and PC hardware jumps I expect the possibility of having to drop to 1440p or 1080p.

I'll keep it in mind since that's likely the top end I'd go even on next PC rebuild seeing as I'm extremely reluctant to consider water cooling.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Intel burn test and prime 95 pretty much do the same thing, they both work your cpu. Newer prime95 versions above v26 as explained in the link by CompuTronix is heating up your cpu more than usual. Ibt shouldn't see temps not reach as high, and for you to see that and not to worry about your temps.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Kobe Eveleigh,

For thermal testing, use only Prime95 version 26.6, and be sure to use the Small FFT's test.

• Prime95 v26.6 - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

2nd through 8th Generation i3, i5 and i7 CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) Instruction Sets. Prime95 versions later than 26.6 run AVX code on the CPU's Floating Point Unit (FPU) which causes unrealistic temperatures up to 20°C higher due to excessively high TDP workloads. Other high TDP utilities have similar results.

AVX can be disabled in Prime95 versions later than 26.6 by inserting "CpuSupportsAVX=0" into the "local.txt" file in Prime95's folder. However, since Core temperatures will be the same as 26.6, it's easier to just use 26.6.

Do not use InteBurn Test. Here's why:

Not all loads are created equal. “Stress” tests can be characterized into two categories; stability tests which are fluctuating workloads, and thermal tests which are steady workloads. Intel tests their processors at a steady 100% TDP workload to validate Thermal Specifications.

Prime95 version 26.6 Small FFT's is ideal for CPU thermal testing, because it's a steady 100% workload with steady Core temperatures that typically runs Core i variants with Hyperthreading and Core 2 processors within +/- a few % of TDP. No other utility so closely replicates Intel's test conditions.

Utilities that don't overload or underload your processor will give you a valid thermal baseline. Here’s a comparison of utilities grouped as thermal and stability tests according to % of TDP, averaged across six processor Generations at stock settings rounded to the nearest 5%:

Higher TDP tests produce higher Core temperatures. All tests will show 100% CPU Utilization in Windows Task Manager, which indicates processor resource activity, not % TDP workload. Although actual Power dissipation (Watts) varies with Core Speed, Core voltage and workload, Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT’s always provides a steady 100% workload, whether you’re running stock or overlocked.

The i7 7700 has a TDP (Thermal Design Power) of 65 Watts. When Turbo Boost increases frequency from 3.6 to as much as 4.2, such as during gaming, Power consumption (Watts) increases significantly. Since the stock cooler is also rated at 65 Watts TDP, the cooler is easily overwhelmed.

Regardless of which model cooler is installed, the only way to know for certain is to remove the cooler and inspect the thermal compound's "spread pattern" on the CPU. Even despite the stock cooler's problematic push-pins, if they're seated properly, Intel's pre-applied thermal compound typically spreads well.

Depending upon motherboard and BIOS, using XMP can sometimes increase Core temperatures up to about 4°C, so it's best to disable XMP and manually enter the XMP settings into BIOS.

Yes. The i7 7700 will Throttle at 100°C, although you shouldn't let it get that hot.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Core temperatures increase and decrease with Ambient temperature.

Intel's Digital Thermal Sensors are typically very reliable. Although SpeedFan is highly configurable, it has a steep learning curve. Unless you know how to tweak it, SpeedFan can sometimes show misleading values, and will often mis-label or mis-assign sensors, or give erroneous readings for devices it's unable to monitor, such as System and AUX temperatures, as with yours, which are not your Core temperatures. To display Core temperatures, click on "Configure", then under the "Temperatures" Tab you can check or uncheck which values you want to be displayed, including each Core.

SpeedFan has a known issue that's persisted throughout many versions where Core temperatures require a + 15 "Offset" for each Core, in order to correctly indicate Core temperatures. Click on Configure>Advanced>Chip>Intel Core>Temperature offset>Set to>Remember it>OK.

For more information, click on Help and-How-To in SpeedFan's Program Group, or click on speedfan.chm in SpeedFan's folder. You can also read the F.A.Q. Tab on their website - http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

For accurate, very detailed monitoring information, you might instead want to use the "Sensors" selection in HWiNFO - https://www.hwinfo.com/

Any inexpensive cooler with proper fastening hardware and a backplate wold be a great improvement over the stock cooler.

We have a Guide you should read. It's one of the Stickies near the top of the CPU's Forum: Intel CPU Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

CT :sol:

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Thanks I've just fixed that. But still the values reported are lower. It's showing these values:
kpmZdIA.png

I guess what I meant to say is that I believed maybe I was getting inaccurate values from other programs I was using? When running a game quick Speedfan is showing 50-70.

I am pretty sure motherboard temp isn't accurate as it's always burning hot 110c+ even when just turned on in the morning after being off overnight.

EDIT: Played CPU for ~15 minutes.
IJ06MjT.png

CompuTronix

Intel Master
You might have missed this portion of my previous post:

To get SpeedFan to display the same Core temperature values as other utilities, you need to configure a +15 Offset for each Core. Once completed, SpeedFan shouldl then display the same Core temperature values as other utilities. Click on Configure>Advanced>Chip>Intel Core>Temperature offset>Set to>Remember it>OK.

That's a separate issue from Core temperatures. As I mentioned in my previous post, download HWiNFO and run "Sensors Only". Although the sensors may be labeled differently than SpeedFan, if you see the same temperature anomalies, the you'll know whether it's a SpeedFan issue or a motherboard issue.

There's a link to HWiNFO in my previous post, but here it is again: HWiNFO - https://www.hwinfo.com/

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Tried out HWiNFO while playing Fallout 4. I also tried changing the game to 1080p

6bis7pY.png

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As you can see, your 7700 correctly clocks to 4.1, however, 3 of the it's 4 Cores are indeed Throttling. Further down the page you should find several more temperatures grouped together for various device sensors. Look carefully for temperature anomalies similar to those displayed in SpeedFan. The temperature values may be same, but they may be labeled differently than "System" or "AUX".

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

I find this stuff pretty confusing but are these the other temperature values you're referring to? Motherboard's sensors for cpu temp? At least the motherboard temp isn't claiming 118c here.
X5KDR2V.png

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Kobe Eveleigh,

If that's all the various device temperatures listed, then yes. How coincidental that there just happens to be four temperatures ... Also, T1 may be the voltage regulators or an HDD.

Just to be clear, there is no motherboard sensor for "CPU" temperature. CPU (PECI) is Platform Environmental Control Interface, which displays the hottest Core. PECI is a separate bus for thermal management.

Also, it's uncommon for any monitoring utility to correctly identify, 100% of the time, the vast assortment of hardware devices on the computer market. The label "CPU" may actually be the on-chip Integrated Graphics Processor Unit (IGPU), which shares the Die with the Cores. So when the Cores are hot, they influence the IGPU temperature, even if it's not in use, such as when a graphics card (GPU) is installed.

Since HWiNFO is known to be thermally highly accurate, and SpeedFan is often not, you've now proven that your temperature anomalies are due to SpeedFan, and not your hardware. The logical conclusions here are twofold; (1) stop using SpeedFan until you master it's steep learning curve ... (2) replace the stock cooler as soon as possible.

Good job with HWiNFO!

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

Cool! Is my system safe to just game on? Got freaked out when I saw 100c, which was what made me make thread. This stuff kind of making me anxious. I tried reading up a little on PC temps like about a year ago when planning my build and found it confusing which was main reason why I went for non OC CPU.

I disabled XMP Profile but still get 92c max on the hottest core. Made me wonder if there could be defect since that was with the game on 1080p with some of my adjustments for normally playing on 4K such as AA turned off and shadows on Medium. Load Accelerator would have FPS go to >1200 (they uncap FPS while in load menu game state because oddly enough loading times are tied to frame-rate). Actually now that I think about it perhaps this mod could be a culprit for high temps since it increases the system load for dramatically faster loading times. I get near instant even with 300+ mods installed, a 100+ GB game folder.

There were drive temps & DIMM temps but pretty inconsequential, they seem to sit at about the same pretty much all the time.

CompuTronix

Intel Master

I strongly suggest that you read our Guide: Intel CPU Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

100°C is too hot.

Once again, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Although most processors Throttle at 100°C (212°F), it’s not advisable to run your CPU near it's thermal limit, just as common sense tells you not to run a vehicle with the temperature gauge pegged in the red "hot" zone.

If your hottest Core is near it's specified Tj Max Throttle temperature, then your CPU is already too hot. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, overclockers and reviewers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity.

Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Tj Max. So regardless of environmental conditions, hardware configurations, workloads or any other variables, Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

If you replace the stock cooler so as to maintain Core temperatures below 85°C, or ideally 80°C, as stated above, then obviously your processor won't Throttle. You'll find that gaming smoothness and performance will improve, since the processor's clock speed won't decrease during heavy workloads.

Replace the stock cooler with an inexpensive aftermarket cooler and enjoy your rig!

JeroX

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
<MODERATOR EDIT>

JeroX:

Please read the entire Thread before offering a three word comment. The off-topic content which followed was not pertinent to this Thread, and has been deleted.

Tom's Hardware Forums does not allow Threads to be hijacked.

Terms of Use - http://www.purch.com/terms-of-use/
Forum Rules - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2083474/read-forum-rules-styling-posts.html

If you prefer to discuss "How to Become a Vampire in Skyrim" rather than "7700(Not K) reaching 97C? Is it safe?" then you must start your own Thread in our PC Gaming Forum.

CompuTronix
Forum Moderator
Tom's Moderator Team

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

OK I am thinking about going to order a CM Hyper 212 Evo. Unless there's the possibility that this is a super terrible binned chip to the point that I'd need more intense cooling In which case I'll think about getting Noctua NH D15. If that won't do then I have no idea and I'm officially super disappointed in this CPU, as I am extremely averse to water cooling. Part of my decision process was to avoid water cooling, I knew coffee lake was on the way but figured hex cores are going to be really hot. Just curious if Computronix or others think I might indeed need an intense cooler or if water might be called for, then I'll buy ASAP. Sounds like this is something that's gotta get fixed right away.

I'm baffled that temp stays high even if I go to 1080p and reduce my settings(Basically an original Xbox One's level workload), don't know what to say other than do I have to play 10 year old games in the meantime?