will a gt 8800 fit in optiplex 780 MT

Solution
Again, it depends on the card. If it is a single slot graphics card (I think most GT 740s are), then it should fit. I suspect it even has a lower power requirement (max 64 watts) which *MIGHT* run on your current power supply.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Depends on which 8800GT you're referring to. Some things you need to be aware of:

1) The card must be single slot in width. You cannot install a dual slot graphics card. The BTX form-factor of the system only allows for a single slot graphics card.
1134_single-slot-vs-dual-slot-gpus.jpg

2) Specifications for the 8800 GT state a minimum 400 watt power supply. The Optiplex 780 MT only has a 305watt PSU.

3) Specifications for the card also state a required supplementary power connection from the power supply. It's highly unlikely that your power supply has one.

4) Dell Optiplex 780 MT Specifications state a maximum graphics card length of 188mm/7.4in. Your graphics card length must be less than that.

All in all, I wouldn't even bother trying.

-Wolf sends

The problem with LGA775 Optiplexes is that they are BTX form factor office computers. They were intentionally designed to only allow small low powered video cards. Any 2 slot card will need modding to fit at the back because ther is no 2nd slot provided. Any 2 slot card that is much longer than the PCIe slot will hit the CPU cooling shroud. Even ITX cards need trimming there. Some just a little, some quite a lot. I'm not saying this to discourage you. I've modded several ITX cars to fit these myself. It's just that modding an R9-380 ITX or GTX760 to fit no longer makes sense becuase the same performance w/o the need for a PSU swap is now readily available.
If you look at the GPU hierarchy chart the GT730 1GB DDR5 will perform the same as the GTX8800.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Wolfshadw

Titan

There is no guarantee that you can upgrade the power supply. It may be proprietary to Dell. Check to see if the main power connector is a 20+4pin connector.

-Wolf sends

That looks OK. The length isn't as critical if it's single slot. It can go along side the CPU cooler there.
You can upgrade the PSU in the Opti 780 OK. Be sure the new PSU has as much power as the old one on the 5V. rail. This will be on the label of the Dell PSU.
Just be aware that the older GPU won't play newer games very well, or not at all, due to DX10 support versus the newer cards DX12 compatability.
IMO you should put the money you will spend on the PSU towards a GT730

Jun 20, 2018
bro william p gt 730 is not better than gt 9800 in gaming performance and also i just wanna play games like COD black ops in high settings and modern warfare 3 in high settings and black ops 2 in med-high settings and spiderman shattered dimensions and also wanna run knoxplayer or bluestacks so prefering gt 9800 and also wanted to ask u about gt 740 will it fit??well still i ll but gt 9800...plz reply soon guyz