i7-8700 vs Ryzen 5 2600 PC Prebuilts.

Jun 16, 2018
Continued from:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3726528/ryzen-2600-2600x-1700-ram-troubles.html

The 2600 was originally what I was going to get, but shortly after I ordered it, it went out of stock in my state and they might just not get them in at all. So I instead was able to find something else but is its more expensive (About $280 USD more), but still not sure if i should just bit the bullet or wait and see what happens.
More input will be greatly appreciated

So just a retread.

I'll be gaming with it mostly (Warframe, Witcher3, FF14 being the major ones) but I will still want to spend time using it like a desktop/workstation (Blender, Unity, Twitch). Don't care about 4k or anything like that, nor about OCing at anytime.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: 16 gb 2133 Mhz
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: 600w (80+)
Storage: 1TB HDD + 120gb SSD
Mobo: AMD B350 Based MicroATX

CPU: i7- 8700
RAM: 16gb 3000 Mhz
GPU: GTX 1060 6gb
PSU: 600w (80+)
Storage: 1TB HDD +240gb SSD
Mobo: ATX (sadly I can't get it's chipset or anything and trying to search it online doesn't give me a match)

http://

Hopefully the picture can help (Granted there's still a chance i would get something else then that, but close enough)

I had heard about the CPU cooler for the 8700 wasn't the best though. (If I even do get the stock cooler with it)

So even if the i7 computer is better, would it's lesser cooler hurt me that much to not make it worth it? Or just still try and hope and get the Ryzen one due to it's better cooler and lesser price tag?

Or still get the i7 and not take the chance with the cooler being bad, and instead get some kind of liquid cooler before starting it up for the first time? (If so recommendations for a cooler would be great, lesser the price the better.) Heard that some corsair and deepcool was good.

Solution
To help you clarify some of your concerns:

The stock cooler on the 8700 is just fine. It's not overclockable so the stock cooler will do the job no problem at keeping the temps at reasonable levels.
You don't need to know the chipset of the Intel system because again, it's not overclockable so it doesn't matter.

Overall, the Ryzen would be better simply because it is overclockable and can get you more performance from that fact, granted, it's got a B350 motherboard and I don't know which one, but it's safe to assume that you won't get a big overclock using it compared to a higher quality X370 board. On top of that, to get better overclocks you would need a better cooler than the stock wraith cooler. Further on top of that, even...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
To help you clarify some of your concerns:

The stock cooler on the 8700 is just fine. It's not overclockable so the stock cooler will do the job no problem at keeping the temps at reasonable levels.
You don't need to know the chipset of the Intel system because again, it's not overclockable so it doesn't matter.

Overall, the Ryzen would be better simply because it is overclockable and can get you more performance from that fact, granted, it's got a B350 motherboard and I don't know which one, but it's safe to assume that you won't get a big overclock using it compared to a higher quality X370 board. On top of that, to get better overclocks you would need a better cooler than the stock wraith cooler. Further on top of that, even without overclock, the faster the RAM the more powerful the Ryzen 2nd Gen CPU will be, on top of the fact that faster RAM can result in better overclocking potential. I personally would absolutely never use memory lower than 2666Mhz on a Ryzen CPU, especially RAM that is clocked at an odd (and personally unheard of by me) 2144Mhz.

The Intel system has a bigger SSD which is nice, and faster RAM (although it would better if the RAM from the Ryzen system was swapped with the RAM in the Intel system since RAM speeds don't have a huge impact on performance with Intel as much as it does with Ryzen)

All in all, if you are dead set on buying a prebuilt PC from places like CyberpowerPC or iBuyPowerPC then go for whichever one fits properly within your budget and also has the features you care more about from what I've explained above about both.

On the other hand, if you are into saving money while getting the same parts (or better) and are comfortable with putting it together yourself then I can offer you a build with my suggested parts.

Based upon the price of the systems you linked in the previous post (disregarding the still discounted sub $1000 Ryzen 7 build) I can assume your budget is around the $1200 mark correct? If so, I can easily put together a better quality system better choice in parts that will support overclocking for that price, I can even put together a build that will perform at the same level as the prebuilt machines listed in your post above for less than that.

Solution
Jun 16, 2018

Honestly I had wanted to only go up to 1100 for that Ryzen but if I have to, I would go up to that Intel system which is like 1360.

The reason why I am even getting a prebuilt is since I pretty much need a new pc and want to get back into gaming, But the idea of getting pc parts from all over just worry's me with stolen parts/DOA's/or never being shipped at all. And paying for things online is equally as worrying. (Only reason I payed online for that pc was since I could use a gift card instead) I know that there are millions of people that do that and have everything go fine but my luck is poor when it comes to purchases.

I wanted to trust the distributors and shippers instead with it though. but sadly that seems to have been to much.

And I really don't care much about OCing thing's. Since if I need to OC to make whatever I am doing even work. Then I don't think I should be doing it in the first place. I'm fine with just doing things normally.

But thank you so much for wanting to take the time and put together a custom pc for me.

Only chiming in because you mentioned Blender....

More core/threads the better. So the i7-8700 would be preferable to the Ryzen 5 2600 (though really I think the comparison should be with the 2700).

For what I do, only rendering pictures, Blender 2.79 prefers CPU (Ryzen 5 1600 in my case) to the GPU (GTX 1070 ti) in the vast majority of cases. Only in a benchmark does it show my GPU being better than CPU (which makes me question the validity of the benchmark itself). So maybe something to be mindful of depending what you do.

TRENDING THREADS